Friday, May 4, 2012

MISSING AN OPPORTUNITY OR NOT?

Has anyone else ever received this email??



P A L M   A R T   A W A R D   2 0 1 2
 
Dear Rhonda Carpenter!
 
Based on a carfull review of your website we are pleased to inform you that you are verified and kindly
invited, to enter our 'Palm Art Award 2012' with your recent works!
 
Find all winners of Palm Art Award 2011 and the first new registrations for Palm Art Award 2012 at www.palm-art-award.com
 
Art Domain Leipzig has been bestowing the highly valued Palm Art Award every year since 2003.
The award aims to support and promote outstanding artists in painting, graphic art, digital art, sculpture, photography and fibre art from all over the world.
For many of our former winners the award turned out to be a stepping stone to an enhanced level of their artist career.
 
 
 
I am a skeptical person. 
I don't believe anything that comes to me this way. 
 I think it's a way to get me to fall for a balm to my ego and think I'm good enough - and then send in my $ for the entry fee. 
What do you think?
Is this something most artists see in their in-box every now and then?  I seem to be getting them about every 2-3 months from different groups or people.
 

14 comments:

Studio at the Farm said...

Hi Rhonda. I get this sort of mail quite frequently. You could go to their site to check it out, but I''ve they are always as you described - sites looking for avid artists, who are willing to spend money to be published. A new take on the vanity gallery.

Carol Blackburn said...

I've not seen that one Rhonda. I had someone say they wanted to sponsor my blog once...that's a laugh. My little blog? I deleted that one post haste.

Barbra Joan said...

I've not gotten this exact em. but lots of invites to show my work in different gallery settings, online and in person...
No I dont go into these I don't even open them... Yes! I'm REALLY cynical . BJ

Gary L. Everest said...

Hi Rhonda,
If my anti-virus software is working, I'd take a look at the website to see how legit they are--or aren't.
I agree that, sadly, most of these sites are more interested in selling you something and the "award" or whatever, is merely the come-on.
On the other hand, you have created something special with your work and your blog and maybe, just this once, it's all true.
Good luck finding out the truth!
Have a great weekend.
Sincerely,
Gary.

Diana said...

Yes me too, never seen it, I would think they would contact you in person.. I'd delete it too..I've gotten some about buying my work but then I answered one and He wanted me to send my address and private info.. now I delete..just delete.love Diana

Diana said...

Shesh I did it again. I keep hitting the wrong button and delete it before I send it.. Rhonda I would delete it. When I got some email about a man in a foreign country wanting to buy and I answered he wanted all my personal info.. so delete honey delete. love,Diana

Unknown said...

I just received another one from a gallery in New York that wants to show my work. All I have to do is pay them $3500. What a deal?! I suppose I am skeptical too. It seems like most valid opportunities are the ones we seek out. I could be wrong though...

hw (hallie) farber said...

I googled "Palm Art Award." There seem to be more questions than answers (I didn't thoroghly check it out). It's possible that it's legitimate.

Unknown said...

Yep, I got the PalmArt email too. I get similar things from time to time. If they ask for money, I delete them. Hey, are you going to the Evendale exhibition this weekend? I have a piece in it!

Christiane Kingsley said...

Well, they have nothing to lose. They charge you 37-38 euros to enter; then they try to get you to pay to be included in a catalogue etc...they do not "promise" to have a certain amount of prize money since "it depends on the generosity of their sponsors". I checked their website and they have few individuals listed from outside of Europe.
I would delete this.

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks so much, everyone, for your comments on this. I think the concensus is that it's just to feed my ego and get my money so I'll ignore it. I did look at the paintings entered already - a varied mix of things and only one from the US so far.

Katherine, I'll have to look up the site and go over and see it!!! I'm sure I can talk Sweetie into an art outing with me :) Congrats on the show!

Autumn Leaves said...

Never received one of these emails, Rhonda. LOL Even the scammers don't like my work! teehee

Jane said...

You are wise not to believe in this, I get some similar mail every now and then ...and guess what....after all the flattery they always ask you for money !

RH Carpenter said...

Sherry, that's not true! Just one more thing to NOT have to worry about, though :)

Jane, I figured it was too good to be true and they'd want money money money :)