Monday, May 7, 2012

HOW WAS YOUR WEEKEND?

Our weekend began with some strong storms rolling through Friday night.  Saturday had hints of more rain but it cleared beautifully.  Sweetie and I put a few miles on the car, driving down to Rising Sun, Indiana to see the 9th annual juried art show there.  I knew 3 people who got in the show and 1 person who won a major award (I will let her tell you about this on her blog so won't spoil the surprise here).  Then we drove up north to Evendale, Ohio to see another show.  This one I knew many of the names but went specifically to see Katherine Thomas' colored pencil work that was in the show.  I have to say, the show was very impressive with some big names in the group so Katherine should be very proud to be accepted into that group!!  And her painting was wonderful, of course :)

I love taking a day and just driving from place to place to see art.  You get refreshed and renewed and come back to your art room and think about what you might do or can do.  It also gives you an idea of what is being accepted into shows (both juried and non-juried) in the area.  The Queen City Art Club is having their member show at "The Barn" in Mariemont (on Cambridge) which opened Sunday.  I haven't seen that yet but will make it over one day this week to see what is up on the walls there. 

So...did I paint over the weekend?  Well, yes I did! 
But only some value studies and some lesson work-ups for my 3 beginner students coming Tuesday morning.  Today, I think I'll paint for me...

6 comments:

Sadami said...

Hi, Rhonda,
You're so caring for others. Please be kind to yourself,too and get you plenty of indulgences.
Kind regards, Sadami

Caroline Simmill said...

It sounds like you had a lovely weekend Rhonda. I went for a long walk in some beautiful woodlands with sunlight filtering in, made a change from all the rain! I look forward to seeing your latest work soon when you get some time to get painting again.

Unknown said...

I love that you celebrate other artists... How generous and kind of you! Wish I could paint with you and your students! Happy painting. :)

Autumn Leaves said...

Your weekend drives sound like something we also like to do, Rhonda. I love your dedication to your students too.

Claire said...

Sounds an inspirational trip; I hope to do an art trip this Sunday to an RHS show in England that will be showing botanical art.
Hope being the word as I may have to work!!
Happy painting xx

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks, Sadami :) Always good to hear from you and see what you've been painting!

Caroline, that sounds wonderful - I love walks in the woods.

Jenny, I wish you could paint with us, too! Your work is so full of light (the inner kind that shows through).

Sherry, I love visiting art shows, especially when I know 1 or 2 people in the show :) I always say I wish I had the $ to really buy art from local painters I admire.

Claire, enjoy that show - botanical art is such a specialized area of art and is quite labor intensive - and the finished piece always looks so "simple" and elegant. I admire it but can't do it myself.