I finished the S. Trevena-esq painting based on her demo in the book. I did change some colors, shapes, etc. - just a bit (we all have our own mark-making style and color choices). But this is pretty close.
Now, time to play with this concept myself. It's interesting. Working this way actually frees you up a bit more because you are not tied to painting exactly what you see and how you see it - choose your colors, make good shapes, and have good values and you should have a good painting. We'll see how it turns out for me.
And I am working on a commission, painting and showing the painting as it goes, trying to make sure the client is very happy with the final version. It's a "tight" painting of a flower (from her photo) - and that's how she wants it so she's happy so far. This is the "first draft" that was too dark in the background and the flower didn't pop as much as she wanted - so I reworked it, lightening the background and putting more intense color on the flower (using watercolor ink with white gouache for the white areas).
Then I decided I didn't like the 2 open petals (showing sideways) = too symmetrical. So redid this (you always learn something when working and then starting over) putting in just one petal on the left side. The final version will be on 300# paper (11 x 15 inches) and will be pure watercolor (no gouache to bring back the white).