Thursday, May 17, 2012

GELLI ARTS PRINTING PLATES

Well, I was not doing it the way the Gelli Arts folks show in their video (which I found out after I watched the video a second time).  But this is what I came up with. 


The original print is made using a single color of regular acrylic paint (Phthalo Turquoise), and then other things added with either another acrylic paint (Quin Red) or the Dr. Martin hydrus watercolor inks and a little collage.  I don't have any Open Acrylics yet (but they are on order) so I'm using regular Winsor Newton heavy body acrylics and thinning them with a Golden medium (Golden acrylic glazing liquid).

I'm not unhappy with them but will be happier when I get my black acrylics to use instead of the bright colors I have (only 3 tubes + a white).

This first one, called The Language of Angels, because of William Cook's influence.  Check out his blog and see his work and creations invoking sacred geometry.  Got me thinking I saw an angel in profile when I first pulled the print.




This second one, freehand drawing the jester and adding some watercolor inks in Quin Rose (only have 3 colors of the watercolor inks) to add a little and some Mars Black acrylic I had from years and years ago.




I did another, but it didn't turn out to be much of anything...sometimes you don't know what you're going to get when you pull the print and see how much or how little of the paint sticks to the damp paper (the Gelli Arts video doesn't say to wet your paper but most printers do, and then blot the excess water and do the print on the damp paper).  I think I'll try it with dry paper, too - just to see the difference.



5 comments:

Vicki Greene said...

Very interesting. I haven't seen or heard about this before. You always seem to have something new and exciting to share on your blog!

Autumn Leaves said...

Interesting pieces, all of them, Rhonda. I really like the old time look of the jester.

Pam Johnson Brickell said...

Wow, you've been having fun! The Saddest Jester is my fave... keep going :)

Cathy Gatland said...

Fascinating printmaking medium, I haven't heard of it before, and am so tempted to order a whole new set of supplies! Your first results look exciting, love the jester - I look forward to more!

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks, Vicki. I spend a lot of time browsing other blogs and find neat stuff I just have to try!

Sherry, Pam, and Cathy - thanks so much!!