Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Well, Shoot!

Somewhere along the way, I lost my direction and lost the freshness of this painting. I won't spend more time on it - unless I try a really dark bg all around the flowers just to see what I can come up with. Oh, well, a success rate of .333 isn't that bad - for now. I liked the flow and the blossoms in the earlier bg but it needed darkening - so I thought. But I didn't pull it off this time. Maybe I could do something on the other side (hate to waste a good piece of Twinrocker paper).









Last version



\Version prior to the last one, background darker but still not too bad.



Version I was at when I probably should have left the bg untouched and just worked on the pitcher plants instead.





3 comments:

Vicki Greene said...

Don't you hate it when the more you do the less you like it. I personally don't think the last version looks bad and I think you can come up with a creative save but I do like the background in the first version best. Don't give up on it yet.

Chris Beck said...

Rhonda, I think you might try experimenting with some texture -- maybe a darker wash up to the flower heads overlaid with wax paper or saran wrap to give funky organic shapes? You'd want to practice on a scrap sheet of paper beforehand, but it might give some interesting results.

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks, Vicki and Chris, for your comments on this puppy (maybe not a dog yet but it's on its way to being one! haha). Chris, excellent idea for the bg - I will try that before giving up on this one. I do have the opposite side drawn out larger and with more rhythm so can just turn it over and start again anytime now...