Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Once More with Feeling!!!

Thanks to Chris for her suggestion to create texture and interest in the background using the old saran-wrap trick: Put down your color, nice and rich and dark - then put crumpled plastic wrap over it and cover that with paper towels and books to weigh it down. When that dries or you can't wait another minute to see what it looks like, take the books, paper towels and wrap off and there you are! Interesting broken bits of color blocks that may need nothing else done to them (except to carry over into some little areas I didn't paint the first time.


So - this is the third try on this. We'll see what happens...


I'm also working on finishing the Sweetpeas painting - I, apparently, don't know how to integrate my backgrounds into the painting well enough for it not to look painted on in a rush without much thought. So - 2009 goal = work on integrating the whole painting smoothly? I won't show the stage it's in - it would scare you too much!

My sister asked for her portrait the other night - and she got it. I'm glad she wanted it even though she doesn't like her looks, she said it did look just like her. I'll have to call and see what her husband thought about it.


6 comments:

Chris Beck said...

Oooohhhh! I like what happened with the saran wrap! Very interesting shapes in the pitcher plant heads too. It will be interesting to see where this goes.

Joan Sandford-Cook said...

So much to comment on (ie earlier posts). Loved the unfinished doodle - please, please, leave it as it is - a truly original design. As regards the piece that seems to have got to you, I agree the lovely bg did need darkening but I still prefer the actual effect of the earliest version bg. Love the pitcher plant after you enhanced the colours. Still a delightful piece of work. I even like it upside down!!!! Well done with your sister's portrait. When I used to paint the sea when I lived in Dorset, I often used loosely rolled up cling film to achieve patterns in the water - great fun. See what I mean Rhonda I had lots to catch up on.

RH Carpenter said...

I like it too, Chris, thanks for that suggestion. However, I think a goal for 2009 is really to integrate the bg and fg more in my work, not paint one thing and wait to do the other and then mess it up :( Poor me - still trying to learn and break bad habits!
Thanks, Joan, for commenting on the past stuff. Unfortunately, I did add to the moley - just a bit - I'll show it again. Seems I couldn't leave it alone. Maybe that's my problem with art in general: I don't know when to leave it be. Hey, did you post a photo of you with your new glasses yet??

Sandy Maudlin said...

Smart sister. Fianlly:-D

cathyswatercolors said...

Hi Rhonda, love the portrait of your sister and moley doodle #11 is really interesting. Trying the flowers again, I love the color of the flowers,darks are tricky aren't they? I have been frustrated lately with my chandeliers, can't seem to get them right. It's all a wonderful learning process and a great hobby right:)

RH Carpenter said...

Hi, Sandy :) and thanks for the compliment. I did like that painting - maybe I should only paint things to give away since I seem to do better when it's for someone else!
Cathy, I just really let the background get to me. Back to the drawing board - again. I'm wondering if painting (or any kind of creating) is mostly frustration? The moley-doodles are just doodles and I have nothing invested in them - maybe that's why they are so easy and relaxing.