Saturday, December 22, 2007

Saturday, December 22 - Happy Solstice

Merry Solstice to all!

This morning I was up early to see Mother Nature painting - and she was doing a fantastic job on that sky!!! Bright oranges and reds and golds against stripes of pure, cerulean blue - so completely awesome (and I mean that word in the sense it should be used).

Yesterday, I was listening to to our local university (WNKU) radio station. They played New Orleans' style holiday music and I actually got in the mood to wrap presents! So I'm over 1/2 way done now.

If you want to take a break from the shopping and wrapping and baking, stop and see Rebecca Weller's newest show in Norwood. It's a series of paintings and drawings called "Coming and Going," and I know it will be worth your while. The pieces will put you in a meditative mood and slow down your heart rate and calm you. Her show is at the Speckled Bird Cafe, 1766 Mills Avenue, Norwood (check the hours online). Get a cup of something warm and sweet, view the paintings, take a breather from shopping. Or plan this after the holidays - it will be up until February 1.

And for those who wonder - what's the next 3-color challenge? I've chosen the colors from the hat and they are:



Quinacridone Red

Cobalt Teal Blue

Phthalo Blue (Green Shade)

And I can make a pretty good purple dark with these so no extra color to make my darks on this one. I'm revisiting a painting I did months ago - from a photo at Wet Canvas taken by yabby. I'm also going to work on a piece of Multimedia Art Board from Cheap Joe's (http://www.cheapjoes.com/art-supplies/5674_multimedia-artboard.asp) that Gina Hall told me about. It is a fun and loose as yupo and Tygerag but easier to control. Before it dries, you can wipe it back to white but after it dries, I've found there is no going back. There are 2 sides - one side rougher and more textured than the other.

5 comments:

Nava said...

That's going to be a fun color combination to work with! Happy Solstice to you too.

Suzanne McDermott said...

Thanks for sharing the Weller painting - it's beautiful. That Cobalt Teal is one of my mainstays. I evem keep it in my field kit.

RH Carpenter said...

Hi, Nava and Suzanne. Thanks for stopping by - I know it's a busy time for many folks.
Rebecca Weller is a wonderful painter and her Geisha series she did last year knocked my socks off!
I thought I'd finished the Pretty Hat painting (she looks like she's ready for the Kentucky Derby) but I see it needs work on the hair.

May your days be merry and bright...

Ann Buckner said...

How do you like the multimedia art board Rhonda? Does it lift pretty easy? I didn't see anywhere that you had commented on it so thought I would see how you liked it.

RH Carpenter said...

Ann, I'm going to try to soften that one part of her hair that looks so hard and stiff and I'll let you know. I've worked with this before and loved it but can't remember how well it lifts after it's dry...