Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - She Squared, Steps 1 and 2


I cut and glued various artist papers on watercolor paper to get my grid after I drew the model on in the center of the paper. I then traced around her with an Speedball Elegant Writer pen - one in blue, red, and brown and let the color bleed out a little. It also bled a little when I glued the papers on over her and around her. Then I painted her body and hair and the mat she's on - and painted with a greyed mix of colors around the squares of paper. It's not done. But I think I'll need to let this one rest a bit to discover where I need to go to harmonize it a bit more. Any suggestions?? Here is a closeup version - you can see the papers better, I think.

4 comments:

Watercolors by Susan Roper said...

Rhonda,

This is great! I don't completely understand the concept of the process, but I don't have to understand it to enjoy the result. As far as making it with more harmonious color, I think I like the contrast of the complementary blue with the orange and like it as it is. Very interesting!

Susan

Sandy Maudlin said...

You are so creative. I really like the colors and LOVE the cropped close up. I think the scale of the painting to the subject is better cropped.

Michelle Himes said...

Rhonda, I like the cropped version better than the whole thing. I think your figure looks a little lost in the expanse of the larger view. I like the complimentary colors and how they play off the figure. An interesting and fun experiment that turned out very well.

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks so much, Susan, Michelle and Sandy for your comments. I thought it needed something - maybe it just needs cropped a bit! She'll sit a while until I'm sure what to do - I feel like getting out some pens and ink or something else but not just for the fun of it (if it isn't going to make the painting better, why do it, right?). I appreciate the extra eyes on this one. Myrna will post it in the slide show on Friday on her blog, too.