Friday, November 9, 2007

Friday, November 9, 2007 - Grid Work?

Myrna Wacknov has a challenge for November for us on her blog (see my sidebar for her site): using a grid, paint something. Sounds easy, doesn't it? BUT I can't come up with any interesting grid other than a plain old squared grid. Hmmm...
So I put this one over a painting I started. Not too bad but what about the grid? How do I incorporate that into the painting as a design element? So I took out my initial copy of the photo (taken by Jerry in the Bahamas), and marked on it with black Sharpie marker. I like it. So...began another painting that will incorporate that more. So now I have 2 to work on and who knows where it will go?















So that's what I'll be working on today - plus adding to the masa paper poppy painting.

2 comments:

Sandy Maudlin said...

Hi Rhonda,
The way I read the challenge was to find something that already had a grid in it - like electrical wires... Maybe I read the wrong spot in her blog??? But you could grid out this flower, dividing it up into 12-15 squares, then rearrange them and/or overlap them, creating a really cool effect. I do like what you're doing with the studies, too. Looking forward to seeing the results.

RH Carpenter said...

Yeah, I think I don't understand it - and how does one see grids where they are not? ha-ha Guess I need more imagination! I've ruined the little painting but am thinking about something else - doing a grid from the middle outwards? That might work...