Saturday, November 10, 2007

Saturday, November 10, 2007 - Grids?? and Masa Paper Poppy


Well, I ruined the banana painting and the painting and the grid are stupid, unoriginal and boring!!

So I washed it back to white (or almost white as some of the pale colors stayed on) and I started over. The painting is on gessoed watercolor paper so I could wash most of it off. Now with another idea in mind, I did it over and I like the second version much better. I'm thinking the "grid" is just the darks that flow in and around the bananas and leaves. While I was waiting for paint to dry on the other one, I finished the white poppy on masa paper. I'm pleased with it. It just needs a bit more work on the center before I glue it on watercolor paper and mat it. The painting is from a photo taken by Stephie20 at WetCanvas.














Tomorrow I am going to Zanesville, Ohio to meet the SWAP member who drew my name and has a painting for me - she's coming from West Virginia! We are meeting in Zanesville and it will be fun to meet in person and see the painting (I love all of Lenora's work so I know I will love it), and then we plan to have a late lunch and tour the Zanesville Art Center. What fun!!! So I'll post my figure drawings from this AM for tomorrow's entry...stay tuned!

4 comments:

Sandy Maudlin said...

Sounds like a great weekend! I like the poppy - you really captured their papery look.

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks, Sandy. It looks pretty good - just need to deepen the center and add the bulbs on the ends of the spikes - pistols? - whatever they are called!

Michelle Himes said...

The poppy looks terrific on Masa. I'm with you on the grid thing - I've tried it several times and failed also, although I've seen people do outstanding watercolors with a grid overlay. It's all in the design - and it takes practice. :-)

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks, Michelle. Yes, I think I just don't understand grids other than the standard boring ones!