Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Thursday, Mar. 15, 2007 - Light and Dark


I'm beginning to feel human again and have begun thinking about painting again. This photo Jerry took at The Alligator Farm in St. Augustine, Florida, had such a great abstracted look to it - just darks and lights.

It also reminded me of a Sargent painting I'd seen (I'll find it and attach it, too), that I wanted to try to capture the abstracted shapes. Whew! Not trying to bite off too much, am I? haha

Knowing that I'd get lost quickly in the shapes without help, I drew a grid on the photo and then gridded up to my tracing paper size, filling in the boxes with what I see there - it does help. So far, I'm about 1/2 way finished with the drawing on tracing paper - then I'll transfer that to my wc paper as a contour drawing. I'm going to make it a 1/2 sheet.
Stay tuned for the drawing - I may trace this onto wc paper twice, just in case...

And for that John Singer Sargent watercolor, here it is, titled Muddy Alligators and painted in 1917.
If you love his work, as I do, you'll enjoy touring the John Singer Sargent Virtual Gallery (http://www.jssgallery.org) created by a woman named Natasha who has gathered many of his best works, his best-known works and his most loved works together all at one site! It's amazing!


No comments: