Wednesday, April 3, 2019

ON YUPO - CROW NO. 1



Painted on my new Yupo paper pad of papers.  The first crow of April :)




When I first began taking watercolor lessons from Sandy Maudlin in Indiana, we painted on nothing but Yupo paper.  I didn't learn until weeks later (we met once a week) that others painted on watercolor paper! ha ha  She had a lot of grumbling in that class because some people just didn't like the way watercolor and Yupo worked, but I took to it easily and found it fun.  We finally started painting on just watercolor paper, and I didn't return to Yupo for a long time.  But a nice new pad of the "paper" came in the mail, so I thought I'd play a bit and what better way to play than with crows.

Look for more coming this month!  

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never heard of yup paper,, but I agree , I have a crow peaking from my easel at the moment lol, your crow is beautiful!

Jennifer Rose said...

great looking crow :)

Yupo and me have a love hate relationship, dont like it for watercolour, but really like it for water based markers :) its an odd paper, so I can see why people are not a fan of it

AK said...

This is great. Watercolor on yupo has its own charm.

Lisa Le Quelenec said...

He's a handsome chap - great colours. I like the effect that you get with yupo I imagine it takes some getting used to.

Chris Lally said...

Worth the wait, Rhonda! Greatl crow :) You handle Yupo just beautifully!
I have followed Sandy Maudlin for a while - almost took a batik class from her, but I think she was living in Ohio at the time. Sorry I missed the opportunity... Bet she was a great teacher!

laura said...

You are off to a great start! Love the colors, the bleeds, the texture ... and the white space!
I am one of those who struggles with Yupo: trying too hard, I think

Debbie Nolan said...

Rhonda I think you did a super job with the Yupo paper. I like to every once and awhile pull out some and just play...love the idea that you can redo and redo on it. Have a delightful weekend. Spring is here - how about where you are?? Hugs!

RH Carpenter said...

Laurie, Yupo paper is a plastic paper that's been discovered and used by artists for a while now - just a different look on this since the paint doesn't sink into the paper but sits on top, causing slow drying and interesting looks as it dries.

I am so glad you are all enjoying the crow series as it begins. Thanks, Laurie, Jennifer, Asit, Lisa and Chris (yes, it was funny that I thought watercolor was only painted on Yupo when I began her class because we did that for about 5-6 weeks! ha ha. I was one of the few artists who liked it and what it does).

Thanks, Laura (the trick is not so much water that you lose control but enough to let the paint and Yupo do its thing), and Debbie (yes, if you use non-staining pigments, you can wipe back to the white of the paper!).

More crows to come this month of April - and then a giveaway!