Wednesday, April 17, 2019

DRAWING



As part of the Natural History Illustrator's Course online I'm taking, I am trying to get out the graphite pencils and paper and draw more.  But also to make myself slow down, take my time, and do a little at a time (if I go too long or do too much, I just ruin it and stop looking while just making marks).  So...here's a beginning of a crow's talon/foot.  I want to try to get it right but I swear I want to just put it aside and paint something like it instead!  I must have been hiding behind the door when they handed out patience!

The paper is a dull warm white so it does look like this and I'll continue to share as I struggle along - if you can bear it!  This is just the first and second step, and you can see how messy I am when using graphite or charcoal (I get it all over my hand, arm, and the paper - I should put something down over the paper but never remember to do that).  

Oh, well.  I know I don't have the determination to put down all that leathery bit under the  talons but might hint at a few...
  




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes a hint is just enough! Amazing talons!

Jennifer Rose said...

good studies of their feet :) sides of the pencil works well to create a rough texture for their feet :)

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks, Laurie :).
Jennifer, thanks, the feet have small circled bits all over them but I could just rough up the texture a bit and leave it as is.