Saturday, January 19, 2019

STONEHENGE AQUA HOTPRESS



I bought a block of Stonehenge Aqua Hotpress after seeing a lot of work from an artist who uses it well.  I'm not usually a fan of hotpress paper so we'll see.  I want something that gives me interesting texture without being a fussy as Yupo and something that's still paper.  This might be it!


I like the texture it gives me and the way the paint doesn't soak in and can be pushed around.  I can also lift out a little and reshape areas after it's dried.  

Interesting so far...


And not a bird but some red berries (probably honeysuckle berries) beside the house.





5 comments:

Barbra Joan said...

I've been tempted to try Stonehenge CP. Supposed to be very good. I use Arches or Fabriano CP. And have tried HP .. I liked working on it as it's so different , at least to me.. Such interesting effects. Let us know how you like it.. The berries look great. !!!

Jennifer Rose said...

lol I hate Stonehenge paper for everything but printing etchings on. I could never find a way to work with it but a lot of people do seem to love it *shrug*

Lisa Le Quelenec said...

I always used to paint with rough paper then tried hot press one day for a change and now it is my preference. There was a definite 'getting to know you' phase as some pigments seem to act differently on hot press but worth working through I think. I am very interested to see what you do with it. I haven't tried Stonehenge except like Jennifer for printing on...

RH Carpenter said...

Barbra Joan, it seems this is the go to paper for Bev Jozwiak’s paintings and I love her stuff so I gave it a try. Pretty good but this is just my first try with it - I’ve got plenty more paper to play with in this pad.

Jennifer Rose, this is a nice paper pad, not the cheap Stonehenge that’s out there. To each their own :)

Lisa, thanks. I like the difference rough gives you and then hot press - keeps you on your toes since they are both so different. I don’t normally use hot press but do like this Stonehenge pad.

Jennifer Rose said...

I've bought the sheets, more money than the pads not that price always makes a difference. I've tried both the sheets and the pads, and didnt like either :/