Wednesday, January 23, 2019

FROM 65 DEGREES TO 15 DEGREES?

Sweetie and I returned Saturday from Anna Maria Island (two warm, sunny weeks) to a snowstorm.  Not a big snowstorm in our area.  But enough to drop 3 inches of snow and drop the temperature down to 15F degrees - Brrrrrr!!  So snow and ice covered everything for a couple of days.  But I have paintings to share which I did while in AMI.  And I'll get back to my series of 7 x 10 Rough paintings of birds soon.  Until then...




This one was done when walking through the Coquina Beach Market.  An artist had trays of shaving cream mixed with acrylic inks in various light colors.  You took a sheet of the cardstock and put it down in the mix, let it sit for about a minute or two; then lifted it up and you got a mix of colors.  This one looked like a turtle from the start but I did add a little watercolor to reiterate the form a bit.  Cute.  But it still smells like shaving cream! ha ha  

I'd never seen that done before so was pleased to try it - she had beautiful acrylic pour paintings, too (that technique lends itself to sea and sand scenes so well and there are many artists doing that in Florida).  (Didn't think I had the artist's name but I found her card.  Her shop is called Everglades Eclectic and the artist is Jeanne Dee Mason.  You can find her on Facebook and she sells on Etsy.)  





And while on the sea turtle theme, I did a couple others.  

This one is not finished - just a start - in my Stillman & Birn watercolor sketchbook.















And this one was done in watercolor in my 7 x 10 block of Arches rough.  Guess I had turtles on my mind for a while!  Plus they are easy shapes to do.  Just have to add some more detail for interest.






2 comments:

Jennifer Rose said...

the shaving cream smell takes awhile to go away lol

nice cute little turtles :)

Lisa Le Quelenec said...

That sounds like a fun technique. I really like the textures.

I feel for you with the temperature drop it's quite a shock to the system. I hope you have warmed a little now.