Tuesday, January 15, 2019

GREAT BLUE

Again, part of the 7 x 10 Rough series of bird paintings for 2019...



The great blue heron is a beautiful bird, often showing blue-grey and violet, sometimes just a dull grey color.  This one (from a photo taken during my recent Anna Maria Island trip) was in the evening and he looks very blue.  He (or she?) was fishing for little things beside a running stream inside Perrico Preserve.  

I know herons and egrets are found in the Ohio River Valley area, but I've rarely seen great blue herons around here.

6 comments:

Jennifer Rose said...

you see them once and while here if you pay attention around rivers, bigger than I thought they were.
nice blue feathers on this :)

martinealison said...

Bonjour,

Bravo pour cette jolie aquarelle. Quel beau spécimen !

Gros bisous 🌸

Alice Jo Webb said...

This is really special! Simple and elegant. Nicely done!

Debbie Nolan said...

Ah Rhonda - so lovely. I so enjoy seeing a Heron. Have a good day.

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks so much, Jennifer Rose and Alice Jo :). Merci beaucoup, Martine :). I loved viewing your photos of Lyon and will return again to you blog.

Lisa Le Quelenec said...

I can watch them fishing for ages - they always look so patient standing there that sometimes I wonder if they have dozed off. I really like the colour combination it gives a real sense of the coolness and shadows of a river bank.