Sunday, April 11, 2010

TSP PHOTO SHOW + LANDSCAPE PLAYING

The TriState Photographic Society artist reception was today from 1 - 4 pm and went well with close to 100 people coming through to view the exhibit, have a cookie or other snack and talk with the photographers. There were some new members' work I'd never seen before so it was fun to see new stuff. I'm not a member - or a photographer - but I go to support my sweetie, Jerry, who is my favorite photographer.

The show runs at the Sharon Woods Visitor Centre (a very nice venue) through Sunday, April 18th so go over and check it out if you have the time and are in the area.

And here is a silly little landscape I played with by:

Putting the watercolor paint on a large piece of plexiglass
Spritzing my paper
Laying the paper - wet side down - on the plexiglass
Picking it up and seeing what it looked like.




I've seen things like this done (in art magazines) but never tried it and thought I'd play with it. I did see a landscape but can't seem to bring it to a finish for some reason.
I can see the water and beachy area and the tree at the edge and the tree/shrub line but...not sure about the background. Mountains? Clouds?
Oh, well, it was just a play time so not seriously worried about this one and have been working a bit on the Spanish Moss so will have something to share there soon...unless I ruin in which is possible if I don't take the time to see it clearly before putting that brush to paper!

5 comments:

Christiane Kingsley said...

I am glad that the Photo Show opening went well.
As for the result of your playtime with paint, what about turning the paper 90 degrees? I think you may see bushes in the foreground and trees in the distance...There are probably a lot of possibilities with such a painting. Playing is good!
Good luck with the Spanish moss...I know that you will do well.

Gillian Mowbray said...

I love playing with paint like that - it's pure serendipity. I could stare for hours at this one!

Jeanette Jobson said...

Its always interesting to try new experiments. I think this has a lot of possibilities that you can build on, intensifying values and colours. Lovely.

Watercolors by Susan Roper said...

Next time you want to play with the Plexiglass, try using Yupo for making your print. You will be amazed at what you achieve with that. Artists here use a special printmaking paper and use pure pigment sprinkled on some sort of medium (I think!) and then lift up the paper to see what they have. I have seen some extraordinary paintings started this way.

Keep at this one, I think it will work!

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks, Christiane, Gillian, Jeanette and Susan, for your comments on this one! Susan, if I do this again, I'll try a piece of Yupo and see what happens. My problem (?) is, I'm not very good at "seeing" something from just a mix of colors and shapes so I saw a landscape and then tried to make it a landscape - can't break out of that mode now!