Friday, April 16, 2010

JUST A LITTLE PRACTICE

Assignments from the Charles Reid DVD number 1 are to create a lot of swatches and do some fruit studies (with just 2 colors on each piece and not worrying about anything but learning how to swivel and swirl that brush the way he does = not as easy as it looks). I used Fabriano Artistico watercolor 140# paper and a Kolinsky sable (from Escoda) brush I never use - it feels mushy to me after years of using synthetics but I'll get used to it.

These look sooo childish and I need a good apple red color - any suggestions?


This and the next wave painting are the only things I've done this week so...here are my swatches, my lemons, apples and oranges. Each time you study something, you learn something, even if it's not what was in the "lesson plan." Today I learned that I really like the greyed blue of cobalt blue plus just a dab of raw sienna. I also learned that it's hard not to lose contact with the paper, pulling up your brush and going back in to dab or stripe or whatever. I guess this is about learning how to maintain contact - brush to paper at all times; and about how to NOT go back in after you add the second color (as the shadow color) even if you really really feel the need to do so!
Cobalt blue pure or greyed with Raw sienna for the shadow line (which is all he required for these studies and even that is heard not to futz with).

I also began another wave painting, using my own photos taken at the Matanzas Inlet earlier this month. I know it looks a mess right now but I have faith that I can make it work...yeah, that's what I'm telling myself right now!

7 comments:

Jeanette Jobson said...

There is a lot useful about practice and revisiting the same subject over and over. I find I learn something new each time.

As for a red for apples, its all so relative isn't it? I mean, you could use all blues or greens for an apple but the if values and shapes are correct, it will be an apple to the viewer.

Water is tricky sometimes, but you have a good base of colour here. It will develop under your hands as it should.

Vicki Greene said...

Good practice Rhonda! I would need to hire someone to stand by and slap my hand so I wouldn't go back in an dab.....lol.
Looking forward to seeing what you do with your wave.

RH Carpenter said...

Jeanette,
Yes, it makes you slow down, rethink, restart (but so many "bad" habits picked up already after years of painting). Ah, but if I want to paint a red apple, I'd like a red apple color (I know - could be any red, I guess but what I was using definitely didn't say apple to me - but then the carmine he used didn't look very apple-ish to me, either). Oh, I thought I'd be able to go in and do another one as easily as the first but made several usual mistakes:
Didn't plan as well as I should all the shapes and areas, and didn't stop and let areas dry before going back into them.
Vicki, I can use all the practice I can get and I, too, need someone to smack my hand when it's time to STEP AWAY FROM THE PAINTING!!

Ann Buckner said...

Enjoyed your commentary and seeing your studies. Hard not to lift that brush lol. Looking forward to what happens next with your seascape.

Christiane Kingsley said...

Rhonda, you are always such an inspiration for me! I am impressed by your experiments with the painting of waves: since my birthday is coming up soon, I have decided to order Susie Short's cd on painting waves. I have a lot of pictures taken in Maine, but have no clue how to tackle those waves. You are obviously on your way to becoming an expert "marine" painter.

Carol King said...

I like your swatch practice and your newly started painting. Sometimes it helps just to play with the paint to see what happens, right?

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks, Ann :) I've finished this one and started another. I think I may get the hang of it.
Christiane, not sure I'd ever call myself expert at anything - I, obviously, can do lots wrong! ha ha Susie Short's DVD is a good one and reasonably priced.
Carol, as long as you realize it's playing and practicing and not get too attached to the outcome, it's all good!