Wednesday, October 15, 2008

NKU Art Galleries

Today Jerry and I made a short visit to the Art Galleries in the Fine Arts Building on the Northern Kentucky University campus. They are having the 2nd of two fine arts alumni shows in one gallery, the other is ceramics from someone whose name I've already forgotten - sorry. Anyhoooo...the larger of the galleries has everything from found objects, printing, drawing, painting, and photography. There were some visually interesting, appealing, and thought provoking things. There were also some things that made me go, "Huh?" And then when I checked the logbook to find the prices, I went, "WHAT???" The best thing was the acrylic paintings (2) by Michael Maydak. They were big, bright, colorful, whimsical and I could have looked at them for much longer without being bored with them. They looked good close up and they looked good across the room taking one more look back. Mike is an illustrator of many many children's books and a comic book creator.

The campus was crowded with students and the air was full of boom-box music blaring from corners here and there. The sun was shining and it was a good trip.

Tomorrow we're going to the Middletown Art Center to see the American Watercolor Society travelling show before it ends this week (thanks to Sandy Maudlin for reminding me that this is the last week).


No comments: