Friday, October 3, 2008

Datura Finished + Chemainus Hobbit Cottage Started


Finished the datura painting from Butchart Gardens. Or did I? I think it may need darker darks in the ceiling of the thing to really make it pop - I don't want much green showing and it seems to show more than I want right now. May have to glaze over it again and go around those whites and lights.




And here's where I am on the "hobbit" cottage we found in Chemainus, BC. It was so tiny and you wanted to enter and see who lived there - but you couldn't - so just your imagination to fill in the little couple who live there and maybe a tiny tiny little cat or dog as a pet :)


7 comments:

Sandy Maudlin said...

This is one of your best painted florals for sure. BEAUTIFUL and so expressive. I'd maybe think about a minor glaze in the upper left hand corner to make the contrasts there not so powerful. Looked like a wonderful trip, too.

Ann Buckner said...

Like those darks with the light peeking through, Rhonda. Good job!

RH Carpenter said...

Sandy, are you SURE about that? I didn't think it was that great. Oh, well, the main thing is
You're Back!!! You're Back!!!!

Thanks, Ann!

Deb Léger said...

Hi Rhonda,

BEAUTIFUL datura painting!!!! Wow, those greens! I love the way you have the lights, too. Beautiful.

And the hobbit cottage is looking good too.

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks, Deb :) I am feeling antsy to paint a larger painting now after all of these 1/8 sheet paintings but nothing has struck my fancy yet.

Watercolors by Susan Roper said...

I absolutely love the datura painting! The glow you achieved with the golden blossom is just perfect. Wow, this is so good with the value shifts present in the photo being so well-represented in the painting. I have to agree with Sandy on this...your best yet!

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks, Susan :) Glad you like it. To me, it doesn't look the way I wanted it to work so I'm not too thrilled with it. But that happens with me sometimes and it has nothing to do with whether the painting works or not - just my expectation of it.