Friday, October 31, 2008

Halloweenie

Each year we have few trick-or-treaters. It seems, in this neighborhood, we have a few folks who open their garage doors and sit out in their driveways, handing out candy to the kids coming by on the sidewalk. I thought it was a strange fluke that we would have decorations out, all the lights on, and the door open, and watch dozens of kids just walk right by. They wouldn't walk to the house. So I decided if they were too lazy to walk up to the door and say, "Trick or Treat," that they didn't deserve candy.

This year I was determined not to participate at all. But I just couldn't be that mean. So Jerry went out just before the 6 pm start and got a few bags of the good candy.

We had one little girl and her baby brother come to the door before the 6 pm time started. She even knocked and said, "Trick or Treat!" I don't remember what her costume was because her mother was standing in the yard in a short black skirt, high heels, and a black jacket and I think she was supposed to be Sarah Palin. The father was standing on the sidewalk in a black suit and tie and a mask that I think was supposed to be John McCain - if John McCain had spent the last week in a tanning booth.

I am still recovering from the scare.

Now the kids walk by the house - groups of 3-5-7 of them, talking and walking. They seem headed for somewhere - not sure where - but not here. Looks like there'll be candy left at our house tonight (which is why we get the candy we like).

2 comments:

Watercolors by Susan Roper said...

Living in a retirement community where solicitations of ANY KIND are discouraged, we NEVER have trick-or-treaters. This is a mixed blessing between having to buy candy and not seeing the cute costumes and antics of the little ones. I am voting on the side of the first option....no bother! Bah...humbug. Oh, I forget that is for Christmas! Happy Halloween!

RH Carpenter said...

Yeah, that could be the way to look at it, Susan :) Just more candy for me and Jerry!