I started with 300# Arches and didn't know what I wanted to paint so took a lot of photos with me. Began by drawing this one the paper and starting, like Deb, with a pale wash of colors as an underlayer that will shine through.
Deb paints memories. She likes old things - her grandmother's quilts, old china and silver and has done many paintings of lace and fruit and quilts and old-fashioned roses. This was no exception as she was doing a painting of her grandmother's quilt with 3 roses on top. She's done this painting several times (yep, she works in a series), and was changing the color of the roses in this one a bit.
Deb went in over the underlayer of pale colors and darkened and shaped a bit more of the quilt and flowers, putting lots of pinks and reds (Quinacridone Rose and Alizarin Crimson - both Da Vinci fluid acrylics) in the blossoms and the leaves and stems.
When she stopped, I began on my next layers. As you can see, I was dying to get darker - and did, trying to let the colors blend and working with a very limited palette of Cerulean Blue, Ultramarine Blue, Quinacridone Gold, Hansa Yellow Light, Raw Sienna (all Da Vinci fluid acrylics). She reminded me to do the Nick Simmons technique on this to get more texture = wait until the shine is off the paper so you know the paint has begun to dry and then take a strong spray bottle and really spray across the color, lifting some of it back and created his "batik" look. I had waited too long for the right side because nothing lifted but I did get some lift on the upper left side.
I continued to next stage after Deb did her next stage, and began putting in some of the darker shadow shapes on mine while Deb worked on her quilt stitches (a lot of little detail to do).
This is where Deb stopped for the day, around 4 pm. She had shown us how to shape the rose and leaves, how to do the underpainting so it shows through and how to do some shadowing. Several students had a completed painting - although small - when the day was done. Many were almost done. I, however, had a ton of drybrush (all that background is wood) to do as the background on the painting I did...and was not looking forward to it!