Tuesday, February 23, 2021

RECOMMENDED BOOK

 I got a couple of art books recently, and I want to recommend this one:


Create Anyway: Become an Empowered Artist and Create with Confidence by David Limrite

I purchased the book on Amazon but you can purchase it on his site, too.  

I am slowly working my way through the 15 chapters, and so many of the sections seem like he’s right beside me telling me these things after I’ve asked a question or run into a problem in my painting.  I found the tone of the book to be more personal than many books I’ve read.  

I often read books about the artist’s mindset and process, etc. and come away thinking, okay.  But this one has something extra, at least for me.  He writes like a friend talking to you who has been there, done that.  He doesn’t preach, doesn’t give you rules you cannot follow, and doesn’t teach you techniques.  He tells you how to show up and work and what to expect and, in spite of everything, to Create Anyway.  Create when your internal critic says you can’t, don’t have time, won’t be able to finish or start or whatever.  

I think it would be a great addition to any artist’s bookshelf and I know this will be one of the books I open and read again after I finish the first reading.  

An added extra is the online information given at the end of some the chapters - you just type in the URL given and it takes you to more insights, truths, and helpful words to help you create whatever you want to create. 

Remember, if you just want technique, you aren’t going to get it here.  But you will get something very valuable to all artists.  If you purchase the book, let me know what you think.


1 comment:

laura said...

Sounds great, Rhonda. I think I need to read this!