Wednesday, February 17, 2021

INDIGO PAPER?

 


Painted on Indigo 140# cold press watercolor paper.  It soaks up the pigment and water and, eventually, it doesn’t want to take any more - so not good for layering or if you have to go over areas to darken, etc.  I’ll figure out what this paper is really good for - maybe.  


I’ve been picking up some different paper just to get in the mood to do something because I’ve just been standing at the window watching the snow and ice fall down lately!!  When will winter be over? ha ha  The weather predictors said we’d get 10-12 inches but got around 9 inches total in 2 days - but more coming this week - whoopie!  

Don’t know about you, but I am not a snow bunny. 



4 comments:

laura said...

Rhonda, I really LOVE this painting--the yellow pepper is so beautiful; it even looks waxy; and the radishes and their greens are stunning!
You make me want to do a still life!
I do like the snow, and especially prefer to what we're getting here: slush!

laura said...

oh, or is that a persimmon? sorry: eith way it's just a luscious color!

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks, Laura. And it’s ok you thought the persimmon was a pepper - pretty similar! Not loving the paper - it gets saturated and then doesn’t want to take any more color (hence no good shadow shapes between the two persimmons as I just gave up. Saw some photos from a seed catalog company and loved the way the radishes looked so used their photo and just painted a few (not the whole bunch they had in their photo). The persimmon was from a seed catalog, too. I love to look at those things but never plant anything - some day I might have a little garden. Anything can be a still life - whatever you have around the house with a lemon or an apple or even radishes!

laura said...

Great idea, Rhonda. I would often but vegetables with the greens still attached--beets, radishes, carrots--intending to paint them, but I'd never actually do it! Seed packets sounds like the way to go.
This year I am turning my tomato patch into a cutting garden; the weather here has become so undependable I haven't had a decent crop of tomatoes in years!