Saturday, January 23, 2016

WINTER LEAFAGE

Winter Leafage
 by Edith Matilda Thomas



Each year I mark one lone outstanding tree,
Clad in its robings of the summer past,
Dry, wan, and shivering in the wintry blast.
It will not pay the season’s rightful fee,—
It will not set its frost-burnt leafage free;
But like some palsied miser all aghast,
Who hoards his sordid treasure to the last,
It sighs, it moans, it sings in eldritch glee.
A foolish tree, to dote on summers gone;
A faithless tree, that never feels how spring
Creeps up the world to make a leafy dawn,
And recompense for all despoilment bring!
Oh, let me not, heyday and youth withdrawn,
With failing hands to their vain semblance cling!



This poem is appropriate to the time of year - and also because I will be having another (!) birthday this month.  The days, weeks, months and years continue to add up until I am an age now that I feel, not quite comfortable with, and one that is coming very close to a milestone year that may mean I've passed my sell-by date!





7 comments:

Caroline Simmill said...

Such a fine poem Rhonda, thanks for sharing! May I wish you a very Happy Birthday! sounds like it is almost your special day. I wouldn't worry about aging Rhonda with it comes wisdom, patience, maturity and many more fine things. We are like the seasons each one is special in it's very own way!

Debbie Nolan said...

Dear Rhonda this is a beautiful poem. Makes me think of our oak trees and how the dead leaves cling to the branches even in the fiercest winds. Ah friend wishing you a very Happy Birthday. I too am reaching the big 60 in the coming year. Hard to believe - seems like I was just a teenager! Hope you are safe in this terribly storm. I know your area got caught. Keep warm. I will be "looking up" for you. Hugs!

E.M. Corsa said...

I have a solution! We got snow last night so I'm going outside, hoping to become freeze-dried!

Happy Birthday in advance.

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks, Caroline. I'm glad you enjoyed the poem. I never had a problem with 30 or 40 or even 50 but it's been a difficult year and I think getting this close to 60 is bothering me. I know it's just a number but...so it 35! ha ha. I won't be 60 until next year but 59 is bothering me...

Debbie, thanks. Glad you enjoyed the poem. Thanks for the birthday wishes. I won't be 60 until next year but this birthday has me rattled, for some reason - perhaps this is the time one questions what they've accomplished and what they've done in their lives - and art - and all that junk that makes us human, I guess.

Elizabeth, I like your style! Freeze-dried, indeed!!! I might have to go out and try that, too :)

Caroline Simmill said...

You look very young for your age Rhonda! enjoy your 59th year with great energy and happiness!

RH Carpenter said...

Thank you, Caroline. But I don't have anything recent - maybe a year or two old and I feel I've aged this past year a lot! Of course, someone told me last week that I didn't look old enough to retire - however, I think of people retiring at 65 and she was saying I don't look 65 - maybe! ha ha. I wish it didn't bother me but I guess I've missed the 30 or 40 angst and hit this one hard! Perhaps a quiet island or a cabin retreat is what I need?

Lisa Le Quelenec said...

Chin up buttercup, this is unlike you. Are the winter blues getting to you? Spring will be here soon and I know you will rock 59 just the way you have rocked the other birthdays. ....on the other hand any excuse for a quiet island or cabin retreat - with sketchbook in hand of course ;o) (get packing Sweetie) Big hugs x