Wednesday, January 27, 2016

FAUX ENCAUSTIC - SECOND TRY


Using the technique from the faux encaustic demo in the Winter issue of Acrylic Artist, I started another.  This one is on canvas board (8 x 10 inches) I had in the corner (I seem to have a lot of bits and pieces of boards and things I've collected over the years.)


I began by choosing 3 blues and putting them down in a sweeping motion.  





After it dried, I put down the second layer, separating "top" and "bottom" of the painting and laying plastic wrap over the top while the paint was still wet.  Letting that dry overnight, I pulled off the plastic wrap and here is what it was at that stage.  (It had to be tilted for the photo so the shine didn't block the painting in spots.)


I like it.  It makes me think of a strange seascape with a wild sky!  So I will let it sit for a while and decide what I should do next.  

The problem with painting with acrylics, for me, is that I'm unsure where to go when I get to a stage that I like - but that needs a bit more.  I guess that comes from more playing and experimenting and trying new things.  Nothing can become too precious to change.  




8 comments:

Sadami said...

Rhonda, it's beautiful!! Cheers, Sadami

Caroline Simmill said...

Your painting is looking very dramatic and exciting Rhonda!

Alice Jo Webb said...

The little painting with a big presence!

Lisa Le Quelenec said...

Such beautiful textures! Sometimes when I am unsure how to proceed I make a couple of colour copies and experiment on these. I have often in the heat of the moment covered an area that I had meant to leave and lost the freshness of the 'inbetween stage'...sometimes it can lead to a whole other painting too. Painting on the edge can be very exciting and intense though... Best wishes.

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks, Sadami, Caroline and Alice Jo!

Lisa, thanks for the tips - I will definitely take photos and play with those before doing more to this one or the stones and river one done previously rather than dive in and ruin some things I like about them :).

Jennifer Rose said...

looks very dramatic :D

http://carolking.wordpress.com said...

Love it so far.

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks, Jennifer Rose and Carol :) Will get back to this soon.