Wednesday, January 13, 2016

LANDSCAPE IN ACRYLIC

Yes, I know.  I said I was going to do more drawing and more work in black and white.  Well, this is mostly black and white...but I don't seem to find the energy or inspiration to just do black and white so I cheat a little with color in acrylics for now.  And while that dries, I do a little in the toned sketchbook - it's all good :)






This started as a mishmash of colors and drizzles and stuff on watercolor canvas.  Looked like this.  

Nothing to write home about...








So, getting out the acrylics and acrylic mediums, I began by turning it over, applying soft gloss medium over the top and bottom thirds.  



Then added some color, scraped into the top with my palette knife, and scraped a bit here and there over the cobalt teal (water) and white (foreground) while everything was still wet.  I'm using mostly Golden Open Acrylics with some heavy body acrylics and regular acrylics.  I don't seem to purchase one thing but a mishmash of acrylic colors and types.  The bottom white is Atelier Open Acrylics (which are supposed to stay wet a long long time but that doesn't matter with this one).

Landscape/Seascape No. 2:  Lake Thingvallavatn in Winter  





8 comments:

Sadami said...

Nice! Rhonda, just have fun!! Cheers, Sadami

Lorraine Brown said...

you have playing and experimenting sorted so well Rhonda and magic happens this way

E.M. Corsa said...

My philosophy, should you care, is to do what inspires me at the moment! Good for you.

Jennifer Rose said...

I really like the bottom work :D love the colours and reminds me of a spooky marsh grove :)

Kevin said...

Your lake feels so emotional. I really like the contrast of it and the combination of colors.

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks, Sadami. These are all about the process, I think :)

Thanks, Lorraine - maybe I stumble into something good once in a while! ha ha

Thanks, Elizabeth, as long as something inspires me, I think I'm good to go!

Thanks, Jennifer Rose. The bottom is the final piece. I think it looks cold and icy but spooky marsh works, too!

Thanks, Kevin, for taking the time to stop by and comment.

Debbie Nolan said...

Dear Rhonda - this makes me think of the sea. Love that color teal. So glad you have not abandoned color. You are so good with it. Hugs!

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks, Debbie :). I can't only do black and white, I've found, if I want to remain inspired by it - have to get in some color with other things! ha ha