Wednesday, February 2, 2011

MORE EXERCISES FROM THE BOOK

I'm going to challenge myself to do the exercises in the book, Expressive Figure Drawing (by Bill Buchman).  Then I immediately do a watercolor figure painting. 

The author tells you what medium to use and right now it's conte crayons on sketch paper.  I'm using my large Aquabee sketchbook I used to take to figure drawing classes/sessions.


The first exercise (I posted this before, but I'll show it again here) was to try out geometric shapes, shapes as mass, shadows and highlights, and simplified contour lines.







This next exercise is called Selective Seeing and you begin with the left side of the page, drawing the negative space with the side of the conte crayon.  Then doing it again, and once more, across the page. 





Once you have the negative space around the figure drawn with the edge of the conte crayon, you go in and define the forms more with what it inside the shape.






After I did that exercise, I immediately began this figure painting.





I'm calling it Ice Storm (since that is what we had today).




On Fabriano Artistico 140# watercolor paper, 15" x 22"







I'll be using models from a book and cd I purchased a few year's ago.  It's called Virtual Pose 3 by Mario Henri Chakkour.  The book has many photos of models (female and male); the cd-rom included allows you to download and rotate the positions and print out the photos.  Pretty cool if you don't have access to a figure drawing class.  They have a newer version now (this book was copyright 2004).  See the link to check it out on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Virtual-Pose-Ultimate-Reference-Drawing/dp/0971401047

5 comments:

jgr said...

Hi Rhonda,
Looks like a great book! That negative space exercise turned out really well. Also I like your idea of following up with a painting. Thanks for the link to-I'm going to check it out!

Carol Blackburn said...

I like that triple sketch the repetitive pattern of the woman catches the eye.

RH Carpenter said...

I think you'll enjoy it, Jane.

Carol, I found that interesting and it came out differently than I thought it would - more pleasing to me than the example in the book.

Caroline Simmill said...

It is great to hear you have set yourself a personal challenge Rhonda, you have made a great start! very interesting work and work you have a leaning towards which is the human form. looking forward to seeing more works.

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks, Caroline. I'm going to try to go through all the exercises,hoping it spurs me to do more figure paintings.