Tuesday, March 17, 2009

More Work on the "hand study"

I worked a bit more on the study on gold gesso - if this turns into a real painting and not just a study, I'm calling it "Grace." We'll see if I can still work on those hands without losing the look of them. And I've decided to have the obi in white and gold instead of the paler blue. I think it will look better after I lift that and add the white (gouache). More to do tomorrow.






Enjoyed a very quiet day painting and reading and catching up on some taped shows while getting some exercise on the HealthRider.


Happy St. Patrick's Day to all the Irish or wanna-be-Irish today :) I heard the most beautiful rendition of Danny Boy by Diana Krall on our NKU station today - it was so moving and the first time I'd actually heard the whole song.

7 comments:

Deb Léger said...

I love these hands, Rhonda! You did a great job of drawing them. This is going to be great!

Vicki Greene said...

Wow, this is looking good.

Teresa Palomar Lois said...

I vote for upgrading it from study to real painting, those hands are a main lead without doubt, you got the essence of this, and the white instead blue in the obi is a smart idea Rhonda, I can't wait to see it.

Sandy Maudlin said...

The fingers look so pliable. VERY GOOD WORK. Looking forward to seeing the finish!

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks so much, Deb, Vicki, Teresa, and Sandy, for your comments on this one. It was too nice to be inside painting today but tomorrow is supposed to be raining so maybe I'll finish it up then.

Nava said...

Nice hands!! I like the rhythm created by aligning the fingers like this.

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks, Nava. You all are giving me more credit than I deserve here, because I basically just traced the photo onto tracing paper and then made a few adjustments from the photo that I couldn't see well - then traced that onto the gessoed paper with graphite - hence the strong lines that WILL NOT erase. I'll work on them more today as I have some time and feel like painting this morning!