Saturday, November 17, 2018

IT LOOKS EASY BUT IT’S NOT



This simplistic cup and saucer looks so easy, but it’s really not.  The technique is, you lay down the color on the whole page and then, before the paper dries, you start lifting off the color.  Your goal is to get the shape right and to get back to white (or close to white).  So don’t use a staining color!  In the book it says to try this 10 times and then, if you haven’t gotten it yet, try again :). Isn’t that always the way = just keep trying.


I didn’t get the saucer right (can never seem to master those ellipses free-hand).  But I like the cup well enough.  



And this little flower on a scrap piece of paper is pretty saturated and full of color (not too much lifting here), but I do like the way the Bismuth Yellow (Daniel Smith) dropped into the center created the little star-shaped stamens.  


8 comments:

laura said...

I love the way the yellow spreads too; the simple, saturated flower reminds me of Emil Nolde's watercolor flowers, which I've always loved.
What an interesting technique! I never think of lifting! Will have to try it.

Sadami said...

Good on Rhonda! You're getting better and better. Thank u for sharing wonderful tips. Cheers, Sadami

Cathy Gatland said...

Those stamens are masterly - I remember Hazel Soan teaching us in a workshop that an opaque colour touched into a wet transparent wash will 'push' the wash aside and make these delicate patterns. Yes, ellipses are hard!!

martinealison said...

Bonjour,

Je découvre avec délice votre univers...

J'aime beaucoup votre analyse en ce qui concerne cet essai.

Gros bisous

Lisa Le Quelenec said...

Another lovely technique - I bet it is really difficult! Both paintings have a lovely softness to them but the cup is exquisite.

Jennifer Rose said...

I never thought about using that technique on purpose, usually only when trying to fix a mistake. I work way too slow to make it work for me lol

very nice coloured flower, the colours work well together :)

Barbra Joan said...

I'm so happy to hear you can't draw saucers either . LOL LOL !

RH Carpenter said...

What a compliment, Laura :). Thanks so much! Thanks, Sadami and Cathy (oh, I’m envious of you studying with Hazel Soan - she’s one of my favorites!!)
Merci beaucoup, martinez lisbon, and Lisa :).
Thanks, Jennifer and Barbra Joan for your comments - no, those ellipses get me every time, Barbra (I have to cheat and trace something to get the shape just right when it’s important, but you can’t do that when just lifting out the shape).