Saturday, December 13, 2008

More Planning

This is what I worked on in the planning stages for the painting I'm going to paint soon.



Traced the chair and rakes and traced the woman in the sitting position separately and then just overlaid them and traced again, choosing what would go in front of what when edges overlapped.


And came up with this so far.

I also had to find some photos in the public domain that were of kudzu growing up things (which I'm going to use on the legs of the chair and over the woman in places).

Also, once I get the final drawing done on tracing paper, I am going to be a very good girl and create a "Great White Shape" for keeping whites and pure colors in the painting BEFORE I start painting. We'll see how much it helps the painting work in harmony and maintain some whites/pure colors, too. I have to enlarge everything since I want this to be on 1/2 sheet.

Now, I can't promise I'll plan this much on every painting from now on but I'm going to try to plan more, paint less - especially in the intial stages. Afterall, I've gotten to the point in my painting where I don't want to just paint something - but I want to create something beautiful or interesting = step up to make art, not just paint for painting's sake.

I may start the painting tomorrow, since we have the granddaughters today :) We picked them up and brought them here for the day so Mom and Dad can go shopping without them. Play Time!!!

8 comments:

Vicki Greene said...

This is already impressive!

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks, Vicki. I hope to maintain my interest in it through the painting stage since this is taking a long time for me - just laziness and putting it off and doing just a bit at a time...so this could be one of those paintings that take a month! ha ha

Joan Sandford-Cook said...

Great plan - wonderful preliminary work and I do admire your new approach. Strange, Ive got to a stand still lately once my work for the Christmas show was complete. I think I must do some experimenting or decide on what must become a typical Joan Sandford-Cook and stop jumping all over the place. Thank you for the inspiration.

Joan Sandford-Cook said...

Hey spooky - just send comment to you and on looking at my emails inbox found we must have been typing to each other at the same time!!!!

RH Carpenter said...

Joan, it must have been some ESP going on :) I so wish I had the discipline and the nerve to do a book of paintings of flowers each month like you've been doing! What a treasure this will always be. I always intend to work like that but never do more than one and lose my enthusiasm for it. You've pulled it off and glad you're going to continue.

debwardart said...

You are going to be my motivation for 2009 - more blogging, more painting! (and maybe drawing??? or not???) ;-)
I admire your enthusiasm! You are definitely on track with this one!
Planning can be the hardest part; so what if it takes a month! Just enjoy the process. I'm looking forward to seeing it as you go along!

Nick said...

watching!

RH Carpenter said...

Hey, Deb and Nick - keep watching and see what happens. Boy, I sure would hate to screw this one up after all this!!!