Monday, December 1, 2008

Finished the Peppers? + More Work on Downward Glance

I went back to the Peppers and I think they are finished. Well, as finished as they are going to be. Wish I didn't make such mud in the far peppers but there you go...I can crop it out more, I guess, if I do anything with this one.











And the lady kept looking at me so I did a bit more on her hair, around her face, in the background on the one side. I don't feel a rush to finish this at all - I think she'll come out when she's ready :)









Tomorrow is class time again and I've got several things to take for critique and to tidy up a bit, and I'll work on Downward Glance more, I imagine. Only 3 more classes before we break for the holidays and then it will be 2009!

6 comments:

Watercolors by Susan Roper said...

I think there is the right amount of muted shadow and muted detail (you called it mud)to differentiate the back basket from the first. Don't sweat that. If I were to critique this at all, it would be to add the shadow sides of the shadow sides of the basket sides to show where the light is coming from. This is lovely and, with a few small details added will be a great painting!

Vicki Greene said...

Love those peppers! Especially the red ones. Are you going to enter "Downward Glance" in the Watercolor Artist Creativity Challenge? I really think that it would fit right in.

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks, Susan and Vicki :) I'm glad you like the peppers - I guess I just lost my interest in them so finished them halfway. Vicki, I forgot about the challenge at Watercolor Artist. If I ever finish this one, I might enter it!

RH Carpenter said...

Vicki, in class I found out that even though it's from an obscure movie I saw on t.v. a year ago, it's still copyright infringement to use it because it looks like the blurred photo I took - well, enough like it to know it was taken from that - so can't use it. I'm going to have to start taking photos of all my friends and relatives and painting them :)

Nava said...

Mud? what mud? it's neutral color, and its job is to set out the intense colors in the front.

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks, Nava, but if you saw it up close and in person you might think it's mud :)