Tuesday, December 23, 2008

A Christmas Party with an Owl

We went to a lovely home in Villa Hills, KY last evening for a Christmas party with the raptor rehab folks. It was their end-of-year thank you party and there were about a dozen people there. The guest of honor was Kentucky, a horned owl. He sat on the back of a chair, calm as could be, just watching, turning his head around to view himself in the reflections in the windows, looking extremely bored :) When the group photo time came, Kentucky was placed on a rope stand that, unfortunately, was on top of a wood stove that was getting warmer, the longer he had to pose. He ended up flying (with his one broken wing) to the coffee table right on top of a lit candle - which snuffed immediately, thank goodness.

Nothing worse than a fire-singed owl for Christmas!








Photos by Jerry H. Carpenter
All I have to do today is wrap presents - so I'll have time to get back to my paintings later...

2 comments:

Chris Beck said...

Rhonda, I'm about a day late, but I wanted to say how much I enjoyed the frog article the other day. Also, I have a fun story about my introduction to an owl that I think you and your husband will enjoy. It's a bit too long to leave in comments, but if you email me, I'll tell you about it in a nutshell.
chris@chrisbeckstudio.com

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks, Chris. I'll look forward to hearing about your owl intro :)