Tuesday, April 19, 2022

A FEW MORE PHOTOS

Washington Oaks park is a lovely, calm refuge when you want to escape and relax as you walk the trails, view the flowers and see the Spanish moss hanging down from the live oaks which says “You are now in the south.”



 
At Ponce de Leon’s Fountain of Youth park, you could watch the Spanish soldiers protecting the fort by firing the cannon.  Blacksmiths worked and gave educational talks, men fired flintlock guns, and you could drink from the fountain itself - just a sip was enough for me so I should be good for another 50 years or so!


There was a wonderful calm walk onto the boardwalk into the sawgrass and water inlets.  You could climb up into the lookout, see several educational displays around the grounds, and watch the male peacocks trying to impress the female peacocks (there are 20 on the grounds and they wander all around, not afraid or aggressive but boy are they LOUD!!



This poor guy was really trying to impress but I didn’t see any of the ladies interested as he shook his beautiful tail feathers all around.









If you wanted a more quiet place, you could drive out of the Fountain of Youth grounds down a lovely live oak and spanish moss draped avenue to Nombre de Dios where you could walk around the pond, sit and meditate a while in any quiet area - or visit the small chapel to Our Lady of La Leche.  I loved the vine covered stone building and you could go inside and sit a while, with the statue of the Virgin Mary breast-feeding the baby Jesus at the front of the chapel.  




I think that’s all for today - I may show more photos or just end here.  There was so much we did and saw in just a week and that really means in 5.5 days because of travel time.  St. Augustine, the United State’s oldest city, is well worth a visit and you could really spend 2 weeks there so see everything and drive up and down the A1A beachside road to see the wonderful beach homes (some McMansions but many still small cottages and older homes that have been there for a while).  




Since I’m not a foodie, I can’t say much about the many many restaurants close by but I can say the last time we ate at the Conch House Restaurant, it was fantastic food and a great site right on the water.


4 comments:

Debbie Nolan said...

Dear Rhonda your photos are truly lovely. It looks like you had a very special vacation with lots of beautiful spots. I have never seen Spanish Moss growing on the trees. Hope to do so someday. Have a great week. Hope too that you have fully recovered from your broken ankle and was able to enjoy walking about. Hugs!

Jennifer Rose said...

yeah peacocks are really LOUD lol

RH Carpenter said...

Debbie, I always say whenever I see Spanish moss on the live oaks that I am home (although I was born and raised in Kentucky). There is just something about it…makes me take a big sign of relief. Perhaps it’s just vacation and resting time although we rarely rest on vacation = too much to see!! ha ha. No pain in the broken leg/ankle at all!!

RH Carpenter said...

Jennifer, they are so loud I wonder how the neighbors deal with it (there is a condo unit close to the place and I know they can hear them - maybe not any worse than the barking dogs and kids screaming here but then again…you’d have to get used to that sound or you’d wonder who is being slaughtered!!