Thursday, February 21, 2019

MERMAID SONG





Mermaid, full length, not just the tail.






I used to love the Shel Silverstein mermaid song:

When I was a lad in a fishing town, an old man said to me
You can spend your life, your whole damn life, fishing in the sea
You can search the world for pretty girls til your eyes are weak and dim
But don't go swimming with a mermaid, son, if you don't know how to swim.

Cause her hair is green as seaweed
and her skin is smooth and pale
and her face it is a work of art
and you'll love that girl with all your heart
but you'll only love the upper part
you're not gonna like the tail. 


5 comments:

Lisa Le Quelenec said...

Wow! What a beautiful painting! Beautiful and just a little menacing. I love the colours and textures. Powerful stuff.

Chris Lally said...

Worth the wait, Rhonda! Wow-wow-wow!!! I feel as if I'm underwater...
Love that silly mermaid song, too :)

Jennifer Rose said...

very magical mermaid :)

I love Great Big Sea's version of that song :)

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks, Lisa. We have a program here running called Sirens = about mermaids coming to shore and creating havoc (sometimes innocently and sometimes on purpose) and they can turn menacing easily when they are fighting for their lives so I guess I was thinking of that show when I did this one - didn’t want her to be too pretty :)

Thanks, Chris - yep, that song is fun.

Thanks, Jennifer. I’ll have to check that out. My version that I remember from decades ago was a live Bobby Bare album my aunt had and he sang all Shel Silverstein songs on it. I remember liking Marie Laveau, too, on that album.

Greater Cincinnati Watercolor Society said...

She looks very "under water-y". Sorry about those headaches again. Take care.