Sunday, February 3, 2019

FLUID ACRYLICS ON GESSO BOARD: MERMAID


I thought I'd paint a mermaid on the gessobord I have in my art stash.  I like some things about it, but not all things about it so...












although I was going to glue the scrabble tiles down on the mermaid painting and call it finished, it just wasn't good enough for me to use the only scrabble tiles I have so...








it doesn't look like this because the tiles are just sitting on top of the painting.





Instead, it looks like the last painting and I'll do another on gessobord (I have 2 larger ones I'll try), and hope to be more pleased with the outcome.



The finished piece has some good sections (the blue looks fishy because I made a scale pattern in it: while the paint was wet, I dabbed with a textured paper towel and got the scaled look and the merge from golden to blue created a nice green at the base of the tail before the fins).


The writing was done with a gold acrylic marker.


I'll let this sit for a while and if I really don't like it, I can cover over it because it's gessobord for use with oils and acrylics.  I have a lot of fluid acrylics and regular acrylics I hardly ever use but this seemed like a good time to try them out - I obviously need more practice with the medium.

I should be outside because we are having a heat wave here after our Polar Vortex.




2 comments:

Lisa Le Quelenec said...

I love the colours I can feel them washing over. Are there a connections between your mermaids and crow ladies I wonder? I travelled back in time to Summer 2016 and found some - can't believe it was that long ago as it doesn't feel like it. The subject has the same elemental feel and you were using fluid acrylics then too. Are earth and fire next? Just me making random connections I think I seem to be having a day of it. Best wishes.

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks, Lisa. I never thought about the mermaids and caw girls...hmmm, interesting. 2016 = yes, so long ago!! Connections are good. Glad you gave me something to wonder about today!