Saturday, September 23, 2017

MERMAID VASE AND PEARS - STAGE 1


On a large sheet (cut from a roll) of Arches 140# coldpress paper, I wet it down and pinned it to my Gatorboard on my table to dry and get rid of the intense curve (from being rolled up for so long).

Then, using my magazine cutouts and my colored sketch, I began by putting down Winsor Newton texture medium in the upper right corner.  

Not waiting for that to dry, I drew the pattern in with a thick water soluble graphite pencil and then smeared it.  

Then I started on the bowl and pears.  Spent a lot of time on that part before moving up to the pattern again and, using a rough bristle brush to push the texture medium around, I added some pinkish-brown color there and then painted the yellow stripe beside it down to the bowl.  

At this point, I knew I wanted that blue-green vase in the painting so added it.  

No drawing done except the thick water soluble grapite pencil to help me shape the roundness of the bowl before painting in color.  

Time to take a break!


5 comments:

Sadami said...

Dear Rhonda, I look forward to the outcome! I love the blue used in this work. Best wishes, Sadami

Chris Lally said...

Great start, Rhonda! Another gorgeous color palette!!

Jennifer Rose said...

the colours on the pears is lovely :D

so much cheaper here to buy rolls of paper, but trying to get the paper to uncurl can be such a pain in the butt

laura said...

Great colors! Thanks for sharing the process!

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks so much, Sadami, Chris, Jennifer Rose and Laura. It is a bit of a pain to flatten the rolls and cut them to good sizes, Jennifer Rose. I am just about out of the roll so ordered some sheets today.