Thursday, February 16, 2012

CAROL CARTER WORKSHOP THIS WEEKEND!!!

I am so lucky to be attending the Carol Carter workshop at Cedarhurst Art Center in Mount Vernon, IL this Friday-Sunday.  Sweetie will have to "batch it" while I soak in Carol's watery, loose, spontaneous, bold watercolors for 3 days.

May goal is to return home with renewed interest, enthusiasm and energy from watching Carol practice her magic with pigment, paper and water.

Carol has workshops all over the US and Europe.  If you're interested in joining her, check out her blog and see her workshop schedule.

And although I'm looking forward to this, I am anxious about the trip:
driving for hours, the weather holding (warm and rain today but what about tomorrow?), the hotel, getting around town, and...gosh just about everything. 
I am a born worrier, I think.  And having my glasses break Tuesday evening and then having to find a local Lenscrafters to fix them Wednesday morning didn't help my anxiety level (but they are fixed and the wonderful lady, Debbie, at the Lenscrafters in Anderson Township was great to work with). 
And the lesson - be glad it didn't happen on the 5-hour drive today or while I'm away at the workshop (because I never carry my old set of glasses as a spare because they are 2+ year's old). 
Another lesson - carry the old ones just in case!! 
And your sunglasses, too!

So...off I go!  Wish me luck.  I'll post some photos and share as I get time if I'm not too tired in the evenings.

17 comments:

Gary L. Everest said...

Hi Rhonda,
Go get 'em Tiger! Have fun.
Sincerely,
Gary.

MB Shaw said...

Oh you lucky girl. Carol is the best!!

Unknown said...

Good luck and have fun splashing around! Best wishes in your quest for inspiration via Carol's workshop.

Christiane Kingsley said...

Rhonda, you are so lucky! You will have a great time...think of that and not of could possibly go wrong ( easy to say, I know!). I can't wait to see the photos. I love Carol Carter's work!

laura said...

I always worry before a trip too--I hate to travel but love being someplace else ...
Once you start painting all those worries will disappear!
I'm so jealous--I love Carol Carter's paintings. Can't wait to see what you come home with!

RH Carpenter said...

Well, after a 5-hour drive, I got to my hotel and settled in; then drove over to the Cedarhurst Art Center to make sure I could get there easily (I could), and see where the workshop would be held on the ground (found it and a very nice lady who made the reservations for the students so she knew my name). Back to my hotel with a quick stop for a bite to eat and now just trying to relax and fight a bit of a headache. I'll be tip-top tomorrow!! Thanks for all the positive thoughts, everyone! I should have some photos to share tomorrow - so check back tomorrow evening :)

debwardart said...

Rhonda - you DO worry too much! Your gonna have a great time - meet some new people - and have lots to share with your painting buddies! (Now, rest up and don't worry about a thing until you have to worry about the return trip!!!) And remember - "at least it's not snowing"!!!

debwardart said...

Rhonda, you worry too much! You will have a great time, meet new people, and have lots to share with your painting buddies. Get some rest and have fun - and then all you have to worry about is the trip home! (At least it's not showing!!!)
Now all I have to worry about is this new form of word verification - jeesh - no one is going to want to post any comments if they keep this up!

Sadami said...

Hi,Rhonda,
Enjoy it fully!!
Cheers,Sadami

Elizabeth Seaver said...

What fun! You'll come back so energized and refreshed!

Ann Buckner said...

Have fun Rhonda, and relax. No doubt, you will pick up lots of interesting info and have lots to share about your adventure.

Vandy said...

I'm really looking forward to seeing your photos from the day. Thank you for sharing the experience with us all.

Have a fantastic day. I'm sure it will be amazing.

Autumn Leaves said...

Oh I wish I knew about the workshop, Rhonda. I live in IL and it would have been fun to meet up with you and to finally attend a workshop. I never know about these things until it is too late (and more often than not, I don't have the money anyway, but still...). I'm a natural born worrier too. It brings headaches and stomachaches quite a bit of the time. But hey! You got your glasses fixed!

Watercolors by Susan Roper said...

Rhonda, glad you made it to your destination safely; and, yes, you worry too much. Worries cause headaches so knock it off! I know, easy for me to say. You will thoroughly enjoy yourself for the workshop and come home truly inspired and ready to go with new skill sets.

Deb - When I commented on your blog yesterday and was confronted with that miserable word verification mess I thought the same thing...no one will want to go through that to comment! What are they thinking? I had to go through three tries to get it right!

RH Carpenter said...

Yes, yes, I was born worrying - at least, it seems that way to me :) Not a fun way to live but this is how I am and I've tried to change and can't seem to do it - so I'm really proud of me for doing this on my own and getting here with just one glitch (due to the stupid GPS guy telling me to take a route that led me to a bridge that was closed!). So...day one under my belt. And pictures to come!

Sherry, the workshop wasn't too expensive = $300 for 3 days; next time something like this comes up in OH, KY, IN or IL, I'll let you know in advance to see if you want to attend :)

Autumn Leaves said...

Thanks Rhonda! I will look forward to it!

http://carolking.wordpress.com said...

Good luck. I, too, am a born worrier. I can't wait to read your next blog posts to hear all about your workshop.