Monday, May 23, 2011

A ROUGH NIGHT

 A rough night.  The wind whipping the rain against the windows for hours with flashes of lightning and rolling thunder made for sleeplessness.  I imagined a large ship rolling with the waves and water rushing over the deck.  I've been reading a lot lately and a lot of the novels have boats, water and seaside homes as themes. 

Today, I sit, exhausted but not sleepy (that seems to be my typical state lately).  Sitting in the sunroom with the doors/windows open and the breezes blowing through hard enough to make my old once-fat-but-now-very-skinny-cat walk sideways across the room. 

Baby birds vibrating with wing flapping and squawks for food after a rough night perched wherever they could hunker down through the storm.  Mama has her hands full with a brood of three all vying for attention. 

For me, a loss of sleep; for those in Missouri, a devastating tornado and a loss that cannot be imagined even though the images are shared on all the national news channels.  The statistics are unbelievable when some weather person states how many tornadoes and how many have lost their lives so far this spring; and how many more months we have to go before the threat of tornadoes and major storms is over.

I hope you all can hunker down and weather the storms - more predicted this week for the Ohio Valley area and parts of the midwest.

4 comments:

Dee Doyle said...

Sorry about your rough night, Rhonda, and my heart goes out to all the folks in Missouri. As much real devastation as there has been, I can only hope that those who escaped with their lives are in a warm dry place tonight.

Caroline Simmill said...

We also had wild storms here in the highlands last night and the power went off for an hour too. Let us hope for calmer weather soon. Tornados must be a very scary thing to experience it is so sad to hear about the distruction they bring. Have a quiet day resting Rhonda.

Pam Johnson Brickell said...

Here, here to safely making it through these devastating storms.

RH Carpenter said...

Well, tornado warnings in the county next to mine (where my mother and sister live) but just wild wind and rain again (thank goodness). My sister lost power Sunday in the middle of taking an online exam and was freaked out - but she had been saving periodically and the exam will be counted. It's going to be a full week of rocking and rolling for us and I hope nothing worse. We are definitely seeing the strangest year ever and it's only May!!! I've got my tornado kit all ready and tucked away in my art room downstairs just in case.