Saturday, January 12, 2008

WatercolorWorkshop Artist of the Year

I can't believe I won this award - but I did. It is a yearly award that is voted on by the members of the WatercolorWorkshop yahoo group. I was in a group of 7 who were nominated for it and any one of them are deserving for their work on their art. I am now in some fine company, including Gina Hall, Mohan Man, Susan Roper and Jane James, who have been previous winners (see sidebar for their sites/blogs).


You can see the very colorful spread our List-Mom, Susie Short, created by going here


http://www.susieshort.net/2008-wcwaoty.html


Please feel free to comment on the guestbook, if you choose. I'm hearing from people I hadn't heard from in years - hi Natasha!!! :)


Now after that puffery, I hate to post this mess! ha-ha But I will...

Mermaids reworked but not much better. I still need to fill in that seaweed between the 2 mermaids - it's too pale right now.

No painting this morning - off to Open Figure Drawing through Manifest Gallery. It's been a month since we met and it will be fun to get back to it. I also signed up for a class on Figure Drawing through the Cincinnati Art Academy (their continuing ed department) that starts later this month!

(Did I mention that this painting of the mermaids is on Tyvek? The real construction type Tyvek. It works somewhat between yupo and gessoed paper.)

6 comments:

Michelle Himes said...

I left a message on your guestbook, but wanted to congratulate you here too, Rhonda. Yay!!!!

Your painting isn't really a mess - just needs some more work. I think it will be a lot better without that confusing purple triangle. Tyvek must be some interesting stuff to work with.

Figure drawing - I haven't done that in a long time. Used to take a class before it got too expensive. Have fun if you go today.

Sandy Maudlin said...

Hi Rhonda,
You so deserve the honor bestowed on you. Your giving spirit, caring attitude, and faithfulness are wonderful attributes that you abundantly have.

Regarding the mermaids - How about a touch of dark value right where the tail meets the 'ankles' on one of the mermaids? It would add that uneven number of darks to the painting and move our eye around better, i think.

Tyvek is really fun to paint on. Glad you pushed our class to try it.

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks, Michelle. It needs something, I know that! ha-ha Just came back from figure drawing and I felt like a 10-year-old in a room full of adults. Aggravating when I can't do what I think I should do. I don't want to just let it go but don't want to be too harsh on myself.

Jerry is wondering how the WcW Artist of the Year can be so aggravated with her artwork right now - I'm sure it's just a phase.

Sandy, thanks for your kind words :) I'm not in the mood to touch this right now so better let it lie until I can calmly go back and work on it. This and the Radial Girls painting needs something more to make them work.
I think it is, yep, it must be - Better Composition.

Suzanne McDermott said...

Congratulations, Rhonda!! What great news for you! Enjoy the wonderful reward of work well done.

Nava said...

HOW WONDERFUL - congratulations!!!

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks so much, Suzanne and Nava, for taking the time to comment. I'm surprised at all the people who took the time to comment on the guestbook and it's so much fun to read my "fan email" each day - but pretty soon it will be time to come back to earth :)