Sunday, January 20, 2008

Shaker Village in Kentucky

I drove down around Lexington, KY with Jerry Saturday morning to meet with several members of the TriState Photographic Society for their field trip to Shaker Village in Pleasant Hill, Kentucky (http://www.shakervillageky.org). It was cold cold cold! But those intrepid (or just crazy) photogs were outside and inside, snapping great photographs all day Saturday and some of Sunday before heading home. Some even were out to get the sunset last evening and sunrise this morning. It was below 0F!!!

I am not a photographer - I just snap what I see that looks good and might, someday, become a painting :) So here are a few of mine until I get something painted (after I thaw out a bit more).













One of the very plain but beautiful buildings. And some seeds and planting utensils.
















A woman in traditional Shaker dress working the loom.

And a sunlit sewing room ------------------------ >

A Shaker kitchen - the little "box" is an oven and the round boxes on the table are traditional Shaker design.
The table is ready with butter churns, coffee pots and servers, all made right there in the settlement.
There are no Shakers left in Kentucky but there is still a tiny settlement hanging on in Sabbathday, Maine.

8 comments:

Sandy Maudlin said...

SO glad you're back in the warmth of your home. It looks like a great place to visit and take photos. Kee p warm.

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks, Sandy! See you Tuesday...

Suzanne McDermott said...

Rhonda - Monday, January 21st, marks my three month anniversary posting daily paintings. Be sure to come by Landscape into Art for a special mention and My Great Day for a party favor.

About said...

You got some Great pics! I especially like the chair in sunlight. You could have a lot of fun creating paintings with all these great elements...happy painting!!!!

Nava said...

you've got some nice reference photos here! Hope you thaw soon...

RH Carpenter said...

Happy 3 month anniversary, Suzanne! I'll definitely come by and see what you're up to today :) I'm working on my 2nd year now - it goes by fast.
Yes, I got some good pics - Jerry will have even better ones, of course, being the real photog in the family :) I'm looking forward to using a few for paintings that you'll see soon. Thanks, Tracy and Nava (I'm warmed up now!).

Joan Sandford-Cook said...

Loved the photography - such emotion and atmosphere. but the brightness of the sunlight on the sewing room chair is glorious - asking to be a subject of a watercolour.

RH Carpenter said...

Hi, Joan! Thanks for coming by and commenting :) Yes, that sunlit room is just waiting to be painted. I think I may have to wait for my husband's photos (which are so much better than mine) to get on it but have started 2 small ones - just value sketches for now but may become paintings tomorrow in class.