Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - George


Well, I tried to work on the background but those of you who have worked on yupo know that it's hard to make changes without getting changes elsewhere due to the nature of the "paper" and how it runs a bit here and there. So the background isn't looking too good right now. It's wet (I went in and tried to fix the ugly places again and you can see where the paint is already running from the tree limb to the background) and I'll have to wait until it dries completely before I go back and see what I can salvage from it.
I may have to admit defeat and just wash it off and start over. I think it's easier to work on yupo from start to finish if you can, rather than go back in later and make changes.

Did you get up early this morning before sunrise to see the total eclipse of the moon? I did, watching it slowing being covered with a reddish brown shadow. Then it stayed that way from 5:55 - 6:25 am when I finally gave up and saw that it was going behind a lot of trees and the sun was rising, lightening the sky. I didn't get to see the end where the shadow uncovered it again. It was worth getting up at 5:45 this morning to see it, though.

2 comments:

Watercolors by Susan Roper said...

Rhonda,

I find it very difficult to work from start to finish on Yupo because if you don't wait for each area or stage to dry first, it will run into an area where you don't want it. You are much better off, I think, in letting it dry in between and coming back to it. This is just in my experience, but if painting with it on the desert doesn't allow enough drying time to work straight through, I know it won't work where there is actual humidity! Also, while I generally work on a slight slant with my Arches paper paintings, I always work flat with Yupo, a word to the wise from Taylor Ikin!

Susan

RH Carpenter said...

Susan, I like to do a yupo from start to finish at one sitting - as long as I let areas dry before going back into them I find it flows better for me. Going back after the face I seem to lose the momentum for some reason. But that's just me. Anyway - the paper is back to white with the drawing outlined again for another try. My watercolor teacher, Sandy, says you can use the same piece of yupo over and over again, just washing it off each time - if you would want to do that :)