Thursday, June 7, 2007

Thursday, June 7, 2007 - Figure Studies from Tuesday Night



We had a new model tonight, Angela. I didn't get any good gesture drawings (the model does ten 1-minute poses) but I liked the 2 long pose drawings I did. I tried working with charcoal this time. Now I always end up with black all over my hands and up my arms with charcoal but it does make a nice line. The first one was with a harder stick of charcoal and the second was a softer vine charcoal that didn't make darks well but blended nicely on the lights - I think using both would work well with the vine for the mid-tones and the stick for the darks. We had another student pose the model tonight and he did a nice job - it's a good pose, nothing strange or unusual, and shows nice curves. The second drawing is after she took a short break and returned - her hair was different and she was turned a bit differently so the shadows were different on her left side. Next time I can try using my new pastel pencils :) The student who posed the model tonight was working on a dark green gessoed paper with pastel pencils and it looked good - of course, he (Emil or Amil) is a fine artist.

2 comments:

Watercolors by Susan Roper said...

These are the best figure drawings I have seen you do so far! You are definitely advancing with these. I like the one with the vine charcoal the best, it looks the softest, probably due to the blending. I hate even picking up a piece of charcoal, black Conte or vine charcoal, it is instantly all over my hands, clothes, etc....but you sure can't argue with the results you are getting.

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks, Susan! I felt more at ease during this one, for some reason, and I think it's because I really like working on a back view (don't ask me why because I don't know) and the vine charcoal is a nice thing to work with but you have to be careful about blending (I took a soft paper towel and blended the bg but then did that with the girl, too, and it was too much coming off - that's why her hair doesn't look dark). The mix of the hard and the soft charcoal would make a nice mix for these - plus I now have a set of pastel pencils I'm ready to try :)