Saturday, May 19, 2018

TIFFANY AND TWISTED EXHIBITS AT THE TAFT MUSEUM OF ART



On Wednesday of this week, my brother-in-law, Mac, treated me to breakfast out and then a trip to the Taft Museum of Art to see the Tiffany glass exhibit (and the willow branch installation by sculptor, Patrick Dougherty - called Twisted).

It was a fun day and I had already painted this for Mac and my sister to commemorate the day.  They both loved it and that made me happy.  It is a copy (kind of) of one of the Tiffany windows called River of Life.  

If you are in the Cincinnati area and get a chance, go by and see it SOON because it will be gone May 27th - and the willow tree saplings (6 tons of material which took 150 volunteers to help produce into the swirling, hobbit home-like shapes) is amazing!!!  It is on the front lawn of the museum and you feel like you've stepped into a "Willow Wonderland" (Mac's words for it) as you walk through and around, touching the entwining saplings and marvelling at what imagination and teamwork can do.   Right now, the peonies are in full gorgeous bloom and set off the willow dwellings perfectly.  Check it the information here.




I also did this little doodle in my sketchbook (thin paper for dry media only) - I am trying to follow through and work in my sketchbook even if it's doodles and lines and scribbles for now.  I put the sticker on there after our visit to commemorate the day.  

Of course, we are getting rain but maybe you can get there in between showers today or tomorrow?  Tomorrow is a free day, I think?







7 comments:

Chris Lally said...

Thank you for sharing your adventure and your lovely artwork, Rhonda. Your sister and her husband must be beyond thrilled to have been gifted with this beautiful piece of art.
And congrats on keeping the sketchbook momentum going!

Sadami said...

Congrats, Rhonda! The posted work is so lovely, particularly, colours are marvellous. Enjoy your life and painting. Best wishes, Sadami

Jennifer Rose said...

thought stained glass right away, well done :)

AK said...

This is beautiful. Am sure your sister must have been really happy.

Autumn Leaves said...

Beautiful painting gift for your family, Rhonda. I love it and the whole exhibit sounds so pretty. Wish I could see it!

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks, Chris. I was thrilled that they loved it so much - it isn't my style but it was fun to do it like a Tiffany window for them :)

Thanks, Sadami, Jennifer Rose and Asit.

Sherry, thanks for stopping by and commenting. Hope you are okay - know you're going through a rough time again :(

RH Carpenter said...

Sherry, I want to tell you I've been reading some of your previous posts on your newest blog and I want to let you know that gorgeous thin older woman in the commercial is the mother of Elon Musk AND she used to be 200+ pounds when she was at her lowest and raising 3 kids of her own (just saw this on a program about her modeling career now at 70!!). So...time passes but each day can bring something good and a desire to take care of yourself - get healthy in mind, heart and body, and be careful of your own self, girl!!!