Wednesday, May 11, 2022

NOT AN AMARYLLIS

 


Started a half sheet (Arches 140# cold press) painting of a colorful roseate spoonbill from our Florida trip.  It’s a big bird and they were all strutting and building nests for the babies to come at the St. Augustine Alligator Farm.  Of course, most people say, “Look, a flamingo” because they think any bird this pink must be a flamingo.  But these beauties are an acquired taste (I mean, the face is not exactly pretty! ha ha).  

Next step to come.  I want to keep the bright but get the idea of the sun-touched vs shadowed feathers.  We’ll see if I can accomplish it.


I haven’t painted this large in a while as I’ve been kind of stuck in the fourth sheet size paintings.  Time to go bigger!



2 comments:

Jennifer Rose said...

looking great! perfect colour
and i think they look neat 😀

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks, Jennifer. I think they are gorgeous and very interesting, too.