Monday, July 5, 2021

PEONY ALMOST FINISHED


 I’d like to work on the center whites and pinks to make them stand out more - but unsure how to do that with the white scraggly bits.  Will think about it a while.  Almost finished.  

Half sheet Arches 140# cold press.


I’ve been using Moonglow from Daniel Smith for years and never had a problem with it.  Now I hear on Facebook that it’s fugitive?  I don’t know where that rumor came from but I did see a thread recently that disputed it because they, too, have been using Moonglow for years and it’s never changed (the rumor is it changes to a dull blue color after 6 months).  I wonder if some art teacher said it and now it’s making the rounds of all the artists out there who have never tried it.  All paint manufacturers will test their colors and tell you which ones are lightfast and which are not.  (Why am I mentioning this?  Because that dark color that isn’t green is Moonglow.). 

5 comments:

Debbie Nolan said...

Rhonda this is just fabulous. I love it. So beautiful. I have never used moonglow but it looks so great in your painting. Take care friend. Hope your fourth of July was wonderful. Hugs!

Jennifer Rose said...

looking wonderful!
maybe try using gouache for the white bits?

Lisa Le Quelenec said...

Beautifully done and lovely to see the stages.

I had a look on an art supplies webpage at moonglow and they say;

'ASTM Lightfastness Rating: Excellent - Not yet rated by ASTM - Rating based on Daniel Smith's independent testing.'

I'm pretty sure that Daniel Smith, which is a such a reputable company, would have very rigorous testing. From a quick interweb search it seems that people are saying that it changes colour with uv light. How many paintings are placed in direct sunlight though? It is a conundrum that has always plagued painters though isn't it, Turner's and Van Gogh's have changed dramatically. It will be interesting to see what they say after it has been ASTM tested.

Whichever way it turns it looks beautiful in your painting. Best wishes.

laura said...

Really looking great, Rhonda. I love the composition and the colors.
Maybe to make the pinky-white center stand out, darken the green bits in the center? But let me also rush to say that it's a smart move to think about it for a bit!

RH Carpenter said...

So glad you like it, Debbie, Jennifer, Lisa and Laura!