Thursday, January 5, 2017

COLORING BOOK CRAZE





Have you gotten into the adult coloring book craze?  Meaning, coloring books geared for adults to sit and color (some say, as a means of meditation or shutting out your mind for a while - isn't that what all art does?).  I got one coloring book for Christmas from Sweetie - it's from BasBleu and they have tons of coloring books geared for adults, including 2 of the Impressionists' paintings.  








I started on one of the "easier" ones in the book = less little bits to color in (Van Gogh's Sunflowers).  I only have a few colored pencils so I'm using my watercolor pencils and then wetting them to blend.  The paper is pretty sturdy and is even perforated so, if you create a little masterpiece, you can tear it out and frame it or hang it on the fridge :)  It's interesting to see how they want you to mix the colors to get the correct color that's in the painting = some mixes are of 5-6 different colors and I may just try to match the color as closely as possible.  

Who would have thought adults would be hooked on coloring - or are there just hundreds of coloring books out there no one is buying?  Seems like they are everywhere right now and BasBlu has some good ones = even postcards you can color and then send to someone.

I don't mean to brag about all my cool toys and presents, but I'll share another present with you next = one of my absolute favorites from this Christmas from and Etsy shop...wait and see!

We had our first snow of the season and are supposed to get 2-3 inches accumulation by tonight.  Yuck!  




8 comments:

Lisa Le Quelenec said...

Sounds like a good way to pass the time on a snow day. Stay warm and best wishes.

RH Carpenter said...

Yes, we had our first real snow and it's cold and messy - pretty if you don't have to go outside but...that usually doesn't happen that you can just stay in and enjoy the beauty without the ice scraping from cars, warming up, bundling in clothes, etc. Every year, I wonder why we live here and not somewhere south where it's warmer in the winters! ha ha

http://carolking.wordpress.com said...

Hi Rhonda! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. I've seen coloring books before but this one looks really cool.

Ginny Stiles said...

You know...I have no problems with folks that want to do this.
But when "real" artists such as yourself get into it I really have a little problem.
There is only so much time in one's life. Some folks argue it's "meditative".
When I meditate, it's with Zentangle and you might say that is a perfunctory non creative way to spend time too...although I would, of course disagree totally as it is very creative.
I just cannot justify spending my time coloring onto someone else's lines when I know how to make my own lines.
I am sure the result will be cute.
But I love best when you do your own thing.
Just my opinion.

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks, Carol :). Most of them have such small little bits to color, this one may become just a novelty for me...or I could give it to someone who likes to color! haha

Ginny, I understand your thinking. I've thought the same thing: if you can create your own art, why color in someone else's art? ha ha. I guess it's just a phase and a way to just do something without being that creative from scratch - and I do think it may have gotten people involved in artwork who wouldn't have done anything else. I remember when my grown cousin wanted coloring books because she just liked to color and didn't understand why adults couldn't do it, too - that was decades before this phase came about. I heard it is fading but I'm sue a lot of us got a coloring book or two from friends or family in the past. They were everywhere at the bookstores this year! I agree the Zentagles are creative but also a bit restricted by what Zentangle "owns" as their own copyright images and what you can do with it - but haven't we all been doodling forever? I know a friend who used to do the best doodles while on the phone - she later made stamps into some of them = really cool! Have a great, creative year.

Jennifer Rose said...

I think they are great, don't have the time to do any colouring but really sometimes you just don't want to have to think to create and just want to colour. apparently there are pencil crayon shortages in some places because of people taking this up. the colouring book fad doesn't bug me, its not taking something that has been around for a long time, calling it some "fancy" name and charging people for "special" pens (Zentangle I am looking at you).

Barbra Joan said...

Rhonda, yes have seen these. And have to admit I own one.
By the looks of your weather you need to get back to Florida.

RH Carpenter said...

Yes, Jennifer Rose, it's a way to just enjoy and color - remember the joy we had when we got those first crayons and coloring books as kids? Perhaps that sparked an interest in art - or you just like to lose yourself in coloring as non-thinking, slowing down, enjoying the process without thinking about our own work for a while = I agree with you. I understand people who think it's a waste of time and those who think it's great, plus those who just add it to their usual day-to-day creativity and go on without worrying about it :). I never heard about the colored pencil shortages! That's funny! I bought my sister a coloring book (it's what she wanted) and a nice set of colored pencils - the good kind :). She says she knows the good kind because they are buttery on the paper and smooth. I have had issues with Zentangles "owning" certain designs and then training teachers to teach - at $1,000 a pop! But, hey, it's a free country and if you want to spend your money doing that, do it - what else are we going to do with our time and energy and money? Anything that gets people thinking more about creativity and less destruction is a positive thing and we are going to NEED that a lot in 2017 :)

Barbra Joan, yes, I need to return to warm!!! ha ha. I like the idea of coloring postcards and may have to check that out - what a fun way to send something pretty to a friend :). Enjoy your coloring book and your regular artwork this year!