Tuesday, December 29, 2015

ACRYLIC ARTIST WINTER 2015 ISSUE - DEMO 1



There are a couple of interesting articles in this issue, and one demo I want to try.  So, after the rush of the holidays slowed down to a manageable crawl, I got out the materials and began.













The step-by-step demo, written by Sandra Duran Wilson, shows you how to create an encaustic effect painting without the wax, heat or new supplies.  

All you need is a board, some acrylic paints (not fluid acrylics), some plastic wrap, a bit of alcohol, and some acrylic mediums.  



The article says to first paint the entire board (after misting it a bit) with Apricot (I didn't have Apricot so made my own - close enough - using Alizarin Crimson Hue + Indian Yellow Hue + a little Titanium White to lighten it).  Sandra used Ampersand Encaustic board and I used birch board I had - unfinished (so I hope that isn't a problem).

The first layer of paint has to dry before doing the second step.  




Next, paint the top half with Orange (again, made my own from what I had - added a bit of Hansa Yellow to the mix to lighten the mix and make it more orange)
and the bottom half with Quinacridone Gold (used Indian Yellow) + Magenta (used Alizarin Crimson).  While that is still wet, lay down some plastic wrap, making texture as you scrunch it around in the paint.  Let that dry completely for hard edges, lift it off before drying if you want softer edges.  I wanted hard edges so left that to dry for a few hours.



After that dried and the plastic wrap is removed, apply Magenta (my color = Quinacridone Magenta) to the top half and, while the paint is still wet, add drops of alcohol across the surface and let that dry.  (I didn't see much of an effect of the drops of alcohol and I didn't blot it - it didn't say to blot it so...)

Then add Payne's Gray (I used Quinacridone Red + Ultramarine Blue) to the middle area of the painting and, while the paint is wet, apply water drops with a spray bottle across the surface.  I like spritzing so this was fun.  When the paint is dry but the water drops are still wet, blot with a paper towel.  Let that dry.  Now, if you wait until the paint is dry and water drops are still wet, that isn't going to happen - so I waited a few minutes and blotted to get the texture look of the middle.  Unlike the top part with paint and then alcohol drops, this created a neat texture look in the middle. 

Come back tomorrow for the next steps - and if this sounds good to you, pick up the latest issue of Acrylic Artist (Winter 2015 issue) and try it.  It has a lot of good articles and beautiful work from a variety of acrylic artists - which reminds me, I need to renew my subscription! 








2 comments:

Sadami said...

Thank u, Rhonda! What a great experiment and kind explanations!! I really enjoyed it and admire you. Best wishes, Sadami

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks, Sadami. It's an interesting technique and I'll finish it and show off the way it worked for me (although not always using the required mediums because I didn't have it at the time).