Friday, January 3, 2014

THE BIRDS OF 2014: WOODPECKER + GRACKLE





Working from the background forward.







These birds were "sharing" the suet feeder, but it was obvious who was the boss, saying,
"It says Woodpecker suet!"


And he was right - it was woodpecker suet I had put out that morning.  But the Grackle seemed to like it, too, sneaking around the corner from the Red-bellied Woodpecker, and hoping he wouldn't be seen stealing from "Big Red".



The first painting of The Birds of 2014. 

It Says Woodpecker Suet!
Arches 140# cold press watercolor paper
11" x 15"




My intention for these bird portraits is to paint one on watercolor paper I've sketched the subject(s) on; and again with no drawing, just painting the same bird(s) on smaller paper.  







6 comments:

laura said...

I like that idea, Rhonda ... I was thinking something similar last night: that it'd be good practice to try painting birds without the drawing!
Love the expression on your woodpecker; it definitely says Back off!

Debbie Nolan said...

Rhonda - what I so enjoy about this painting is that it tells a great story. Birds are such a delight to watch. I know the woodpeckers do love that suet...reminds me to get some for my feeders as well. Take care and have a lovely week-end. Stay warm.

Introverted Art said...

I always love to see other artist's process.

Cathy Gatland said...

I'm late to wish you a Happy New Year Rhonda - glad that you'll be painting more birds, they are such characters (as I think, are you!)

Autumn Leaves said...

What a cool composition, Rhonda! I love this!!

RH Carpenter said...

You're doing a great job on your bird paintings, Laura :) Makes me want to loosen up on these and I hope I can if I continue throughout the month.

Debbie, thanks - birds are so much fun to watch.

Cathy, thanks so much!!

Sherry, I can't take much credit for the composition - I'm using a photo Sweetie took out the kitchen window. I have a lot of reference photos for many birds around the feeders.

Thanks, Introverted Art, for stopping by and for taking the time to comment.