Sunday, January 5, 2014

BIRDS OF 2014 - INDIGO BUNTING



On the table because it was still sopping wet when I took the photo.  Always working from the background to the foreground.


Another to add to The Birds of 2014, this time a very pretty and very blue Indigo Bunting. 




These pretty birds often pass by in the late spring, early summer, but they never stay, just coming to eat and rest up before moving on to their more permanent home.


The Bluebird of Happiness is Not Happy
Arches 140# cold press watercolor paper.


Now time to try the first two birds without drawing...



8 comments:

Vandy said...

He's magnificent. Fabulous blues.

laura said...

Yes, gorgeous blues, and a good drawing too.

http://carolking.wordpress.com said...

I love the name of this! And the painting is great.

Unknown said...

Ooh, those colors! He has such personality, too! You guys are making me want to draw birds, but I don't think I could do them justice the way you have here!

Autumn Leaves said...

A pretty blue bird indeed!

Debbie Nolan said...

Glorious Rhonda...these birds in life are something to see. Love the pose you chose too - makes him seem so dimensional. Have a great day.

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks so much, Vandy, Laura, Carol, Katherine and Sherry. You are too kind!!! I am not succeeding in getting looser but hope to as I continue along, moving away from drawing and just painting the birds without much bg or surroundings. Laura, you have it right! I just need to imitate you!!
Katherine, I know you'd do a great job on little birds and would get their feathers just so :)

RH Carpenter said...

Debbie, you sneaked a comment in there as I was replying to the others :) Hope you are staying warm!